Law Team prepares for a competitive season

A group of last years members of Law Team  hold up their Best Attorney Awards won at state.

A group of last year’s members of Law Team hold up their “Best Attorney Awards” won at state.

Law Team is off to a great start with a new sponsor and many new members who are excited to get ready for this year’s competitive mock trial season.

Law Team consists of students who are dedicated to learning how a courtroom works. Their mock trial season revolves around a case given to them by the Illinois State Bar Association. Every year there is a new case, and this year it’s criminal– meaning the state of Illinois is the one doing the prosecuting.

“I’m really excited to see what this case will hold,” said returning Law Team member Savanna Clements.

Law Team has been run by Ms. Regan and Judge John Moran in previous years, but both have either stepped down or been unable to return for the 2017 season. Ms. Mueller, the Law in American Society teacher, has stepped up to the plate.

“I’m really excited to be working with some motivated students who know what they’re doing,” said Ms. Mueller. “I expect to learn a lot from them since this is my first year. I love being on the learning side of this curve, it’s very exciting.”

Ms. Mueller isn’t the only one learning how Law Team works–many freshmen and sophomores have joined for the first year as well.

“I want to be a lawyer, which is why I joined Law Team,” said sophomore and new member Kellan Gilmartin. “It’s interesting learning new stuff I didn’t know about, like trials and stuff,”

Because of all the new members, the mock trial veterans have taken on the responsibility of teaching everyone how it works. This is quite a large task since there are so many new members, but they’re optimistic.

“I’m really excited to see how we build up as a team,” said Clements. “It may be slow because there’s a lot of new people. There’s definitely a lot more new people than there are old people, but I think we have some potential and we can help them out.”

With so many dedicated members, both new and old, Law Team is sure to have a successful mock trial season this winter.