Best and worst dates from York students and teachers

Valentine’s Day is not for everyone, even if you have someone to spend it with. A good way to get through the holiday, single or not, is through some good laughs and memories. Some York students and staff shared all kinds of dates that they have been on. Some great dates, some terrible dates, all in all, it never hurts to look back on these fun memories.

Photo Courtesy of sickchirpse.com

Most Fun Date

With these type of dates, you never seem to stop laughing, and when you go home, your sides hurt from laughing so much. Maybe you tried something you never thought you would before. There’s no awkward silence, and the conservation never stops. Here are student and teachers most fun dates:

“We went to this place called “Pick Up Cafe,” this cool cafe open until like 1:00am with a fabulous waiter and great food. Then we went back to his apartment with his friends and chilled. Even though we didn’t end up going on a second date, that kid and his friends helped me learn a lot about myself and stuff. Honestly, it felt like I was in an episode of New Girl. I got a new insight on my future, and I figured out what question I need to answer to finally decide what to do with the rest of my life and choose a college. All that from one date! I have not talked to him since but I’m really glad it happened.”

-Student, male 

“My wife and I used to go into the city to go Salsa Dancing with some friends from work. I’m a terrible dancer and inevitably a much older woman would take me and show me how to dance while some young, handsome guy, would pair up with my wife. That part wasn’t fun. But then we would get back together and it didn’t matter that I was terrible because she chose me, not the handsome young guy, which was nice. I wasn’t picked first in gym class so it’s nice to win one sometimes.”

-Mr. Chambers, English teacher 

“I used to drive around in the winter with this guy and just listen to music and talk and look at the pretty Christmas lights. I would choose a song, then he would choose a song etc, etc. We would find desolated roads where I’d steer while he pressed the gas pedal and we would be one with the music, my awful driving, and each other.”

-Student, female

“This is gonna sound like a lame date, but it was actually really fun. He came over to my house and we both did not really know what to do. We just hung out and talked, but for some reason it was the most I had laughed in a long time. We were both just joking around with each other. Then we went to noodles and company because he had never been there, and he took maybe 15 minutes trying to pick out a noodle dish! There were only 12 options! It just like cracked me up.”

-Student, female

Image result for worst date
Photo courtesy of cosmopolitan.com

Most Lame Date 

The date starts with high expectations, then you end up listing all the other things you could be doing during the date. Every expectation just gets shot down, its not awkward, it is just not worth it.

“I went on a date with this kid who was a customer at where I work. Our second date was going to target with two of his friends. Needless to say it was trash. I mean target? Seriously, of all places we could’ve have gone, we go to target.”

-Student, male

“I was interested in this guy. He invited me over for dinner on valentines day night. He had ordered pizza and when he opened the pizza box he had written, “Happy Valentines Day!” on the pizza with permanent marker 30 seconds
before we were about to eat said pizza. That apparently was my valentines day card.”

-Mrs. Parr, science teacher

“We went to another couple’s house one time to have a game night and pizza, but the host was vegetarian so there was no meat on any of the pizzas.”

-Mr. Chambers, English Teacher 

“Homecoming in High School. After dinner my date broke out her left over BBQ ribs in the car! Rib sauce everywhere…”

-Mr. Felix, science teacher

“I was set up on a blind date in college with someone I had nothing in common with. Every topic I brought up he abruptly shut down, “do you like sports?” “not really”, “what kind of movies do you like?” “I dunno”, it was painful. Afterwards he told our mutual friend he thought the date went great! She convinced him not to call for a second date.”

-Mrs. Turnbull, social studies teacher 

Photo Courtesy of alpinemountainchalets.com

Most Romantic Date 

The first thing that comes to mind about romance is the candles, rose petals, chocolates, hearts, and maybe even violins. But sometimes, romance means doing something for your S.O that is meaningful and specific to their interests. Not everyone wants those candles and rose petals, but everyone does want to feel loved and respected. Here are student and teachers most romantic dates:

“My proposal to my wife was the most romantic thing I’ve ever done. Candles, a fancy dinner, my birthday (so she wouldn’t expect anything), and a movie of me Photoshopped in all the places we’ve traveled together, but I was alone, showing her two things; my world was incomplete without her, and I have sub par Photoshop skills. She said Yes!”

-Mr. Chambers, English teacher 

“I went on a date with this guy and he picked me up in HIS OWN CAR (at the time, that was super impressive because  no one in my grade had their license yet and or had their own car to drive) and then we went to a fancy restaurant where he paid and then we got ice cream and walked around and just talked and laughed and then we went to Mariano’s because he had never been there. Surprisingly enough, grocery shopping together was really sweet and fun.”

-Student, female

“Went to a restaurant with my boyfriend, and our server was this other kid that went to York. I had never really spoken to him (the server) before, but he was really funny and made it a memorable night. I slipped walking in, I felt so awkward, but my date just laughed at me, and then we laughed it off. We ate a lot of sushi and it was really nice.”

-Student, female

“We had just starting dating and one of his interest is art. He is a really talented drawer and knows a lot about art. The Art Institute is free on Thursdays from 5-8, so we decided to go. We took the train down there and we got dinner at the French Market underneath the train station. It was so cute. We bought macaroons and with 100% confidence he thought that macaroons were pretty patties from sponge-bob. He literally did not know that macaroons were a thing. Anyways, we just like walked around the Art Institute talking about our favorite art periods and which paintings we liked the best. We stayed there until the Art Institute had to close and I did not even realize it had already been three hours.”

-Student, female

“I ran into a girl I had known from High School nine years prior. I asked her out for coffee, and happened to show her this amazing diamond ring I had bought at an estate sale. Two years later I gave her that diamond in her wedding ring, and now we’ve been happily married for 25 years.”

-Mr. Felix, science teacher 

“That would definitely be the date the night my husband proposed. It was New Year’s eve and he was being wishy-washy about our plans. I was in a bad mood because I thought we would end up staying home doing nothing for New Year’s. He came over with some snacks for a “chill night at home”, and while I was putting things away he said “what should I do with this?”. I turned around and he opened the ring box. After he asked me to marry him we went to dinner at our favorite restaurant and came back to the house to a party of all our friends who were all in on it. Definitely the most memorable date I’ve ever had.”

-Mrs. Turnbull, social studies teacher

Photo Courtesy of LDSliving.com

Most Awkward Date 

It has happened to all of us, you go on a date and it just does not click. Everything you say just comes out wrong and your date could possibly be from another planet. The best thing you can do after an awkward date is just laugh about it and secretly pray you never see that person again. Here is a few students and teachers most awkward dates:

“I used to work on a golf course as the beverage person. A regular golfer kept asking me out on a date. I finally agreed. Before the date I asked my friend to call me in the middle of the date just in case it wasn’t going
well. Well, it didn’t go well. He showed up with these horrible pair of shoes on and we had nothing in common. Deal breaker! My friend called me as planned and I walked out explaining to my date there was an emergency.”

-Mrs. Parr, Science teacher 

“I met this guy, who went to LT, at a New Years party and we had been snapchatting and texting a ton before we actually hung out again. I would go see him when he ran track and York and he would come to my water polo games at LT, but our first (and only) date was so awkward. He picked me up and then I showed him around Elmhurst and then we went to go eat and the whole time all he did was talk about himself and go on and on about his accomplishments (which I have to admit, were really impressive)but he didn’t ask me any questions and we disagreed on politics which is a big deal breaker and there were so many awkward pauses but then he’d fill them in with facts about himself until finally I couldn’t take it anymore and pretended that my mom was throwing a fit and wanted me home. Then, when he dropped me off, he went in for the kiss and I turned my head so he ended up kissing my cheek and it was so awkward. We haven’t been in contact since.”

-Student, female 

“After I broke up with a high school girlfriend, she insisted we keep our plans for that weekend to go see a movie. I was too insecure to argue with this logic and ended up going along with her terrible idea. We were, essentially, doing what we did the weekend before; going to a movie, sitting close, sharing popcorn, but now we weren’t dating. It was very uncomfortable.”

-Mr. Chamber, English teacher 

Use these date experiences as a guide for this Valentine’s Day. Even those awkward dates can be a learning experience. Awkward or romantic, it’s gonna be a good memory. Have a great Valentine’s Day York!