AS.IS celebrates Day of Silence and Night of Noise

Matt Carbone

Elizabeth Trenta, senior and club president of AS.IS running the concession stand at Night of Noise.

On April 15, York High School’s very own GSA (Gay Straight Alliance), known as AS.IS, hosted a get-together for nearby high school GSA’s to celebrate Night of Noise.

The event is the follow-up to Day of Silence, where students who are participating stay silent all day until the night time to represent the silence that some LGBT youth experience nationwide.

Each year, students participate and show their support. However, this is the first year that York has held the gathering for Night of Noise. The previous year, AS.IS went to the Thompson Center in Chicago.

Students who were in attendance from York and other schools enjoyed their time at the event.

“I was expecting people to be having fun and to be very accepting,” said Julia Colleto of Lisle.

Other students who attended the event agreed.

“I expected to party in a gym with some GSA’s,” said Robin Kelly.

Students participated in many fun activities from Hula Hoop contests to making their own photo booth. Many more activities were at the party and all activities were in the making for a couple of weeks to make sure everything went well.

“We planned everything for a few weeks to make sure everything was perfect and so everyone can have a great time,”  said senior Elizabeth Trenta.

Many students from other GSA’s that participated  showed their support and had a great time doing so.

“I was expecting a place where I could meet more people and have a great time,” said Natalie Marsh of Lisle high school.