Look, don’t touch: Homecoming Decoration edition

Torn+streamers+instead+of+wishes+landed+in+the+wishing+well+this+homecoming.+

Torn streamers instead of wishes landed in the wishing well this homecoming.

The south atrium on the Thursday of homecoming week, barely any remains of the decorative green and white streamers left.
The south atrium on the Thursday of homecoming week, with barely any of the decorative green and white streamers remaining.

Does this look anything like the atrium you saw walking into school at the beginning of homecoming week?

A decapitated octopus lies on the floor of the swim team hallway, all eight tentacles detached.

The Sunday before the highly anticipated week, student council spent 5 hours decorating the school for the week’s celebrations. Streamers were hung in the atriums, the windows were painted, and festive “Once Upon a Time” decorations set the tone for an exciting week.

“It’s exciting when you walk in on Monday morning, feel school pride, and get excited for the week ahead,” said sophomore and student council member Maddy Small, who helped decorate the school this year. “I remember walking in my freshman year and seeing all the hallways; I like being a part of the excitement because it’s one of the biggest weeks of the year.”

Most clubs decorated Wednesday after school, all interpreting the homecoming theme, Once Upon a Time. Thursday morning CLUB displays their interpretation in the foreign language hallway.

Many students echo this excitement, so it leads me to wonder how, by the end of the week, all of the atriums are bare. Student council’s decorations aren’t the only ones that suffered – in every decorated hallway, streamers were torn down and decorations l in heaps on the floor.

“It was really sad because I never got to see the finished hallway,” said ASIS member Ainsley Bonner. “I only saw it after everything was ruined.”

Hallway decorating is a tradition that’s been embraced by students, clubs meeting and spending hours preparing and decorating. And yet, almost as soon as they’re up, they’re torn down. This year clubs decorated Wednesday after school in hopes of winning the hallway

Thursday afternoon the same display by CLUB has been torn down, the curtains and posters lying on the floor in two piles.

decorating contest, all eager to share with the school their interpretation on the year’s homecoming theme.  

“It’s a basic life concept that when people work hard at something you should respect their work and acknowledge it,” said Mrs. Marianetti, choir teacher and sponsor of PRIDE and Drama Club. “We’re a school so we should respect each other. The clubs stand for everything that’s right and good about high school, and that should be honored. Along with the clubs, it also disrespects our maintenance staff.”

Marianetti highlights that not only students are affected by torn down decorations.

“Overall I thought homecoming week was amazing and students were very respectful and showed Duke pride,” she says.
Students ruining other’s hard work certainly doesn’t reflect the enthusiasm and “Duke pride” of this week’s celebrations and traditions, and the values of York students. Looking back on homecoming week, it’s important to reflect on not only the excitement, but the work that goes into making it enjoyable for everyone.