Marching Band Festival bonds bands despite rain

York+band+members+enter+the+field+as+their+guests+exit+after+performing.+

York band members enter the field as their guests exit after performing.

What would Friday night football be without the marching band? Every home game, the York band entertains the crowd at throughout the game and at halftime with their performances of both popular music and the school’s fight song, energizing both those on the field and in the stands.

At York, not only is marching band a staple of the games, but it is also a celebrated community full of talented, hard working musicians that cultivate school spirit throughout the students.

The Maine East band and color guard performing songs from Star Wars.

To celebrate all the hard work marching bands put in throughout the year, neighboring high schools were invited to come and play their sets on the York field along with the home band.

Although the event is more of a celebration than a competition, the team also gets feedback from judges who evaluate the bands.

“The festival allows us to be able to watch another marching band and see a different set, a different show, and get feedback from the judges,” said junior marching band member Olivia Braun. “Along with that, we have a lot of fun with another band.”

Though the day was scheduled months in advance, when it arrived, the forecast showed thunderstorms and rain. Despite this obstacle, Maine East’s marching band arrived at York with not only their instruments, but excited attitudes that lightened the grey day.

Because of the weather, both marching bands waited under the bleachers, each schools’ drumlines entertaining those who had come to watch with a friendly duel. Senior Tatum Langley has been a supportive member of the band all four of her years at York, and was among the York students who tolerated the rain to support their peers.

A drum major from Maine East talks with York Drum majors before the visiting school begins their set.

“The energy was so vibrant having two bands battle in such a fun and supportive way,” said Langley. “I think it goes to show how the spirit of marching band and music in general never dies, and how it’s able to prevail in any condition.”

As Maine East performed their Star Wars themed set. It was a unique sight to see the York marching band sitting in the stands with their instruments instead of on the field. After supporting the visiting team they swapped places with their guests.

“It was a bit strange to see people wearing blue on the field,” said junior and marching band fan Carina Kanzler. “It was a very exciting experience and I loved comparing the differences between their band and color guard. They were both fantastic.”

Kanzler and the other supporters were more than happy to endure the rain and experience the unique event. Instead of letting the rain stop their day, it only brought them closer together, sharing their hard work and love for music at a successful celebration of how marching band supports high schools in innumerable ways.

Supporters who came to watch the event were able to witness the unique sight of the York band in the stands.
Sophomore flute player Erin Lee is all smiles as she joins her team on the field.
York drumline bonded with the visitors by having a friendly competition under the stands.
Maine East watches their hosts take the field along with York students who came to support their peers.
York performs one of their beloved half time shows for their guests.
Raindrops fall on the hats of marching band friends Lindsay Mauch (sophomore) and Olivia Braun (sophomore).
Raindrops fall on the hats of marching band friends Lindsay Mauch (junior) and Olivia Braun (junior).
Tatum Langley takes a group picture with the marching band, keeping themselves dry until a break in the rain.
Tatum Langley, senior, takes a group picture with the marching band, keeping themselves dry until a break in the rain.
Supporters find shelter from the rain under a tent before the bands begin their sets.
Carina Kanzler (sophomore) greets her friend Olivia Braun (sophomore) before the festival.
Carina Kanzler (junior) greets her friend Olivia Braun (junior) before the festival.