Donald J. Trump becomes America’s next POTUS

Photo courtesy of CNN

Donald J. Trump (center) and Michael Pence (left) at victory speech in New York City on Wednesday November 9th.

*Note: All election results provided by The New York Times unless stated otherwise.

Electoral College Map as of 11/10 with New Hampshire, Michigan, Arizona not yet called. States with red lines signifies a state won by Trump in 2016 that was won by Obama in 2012.
Photo courtesy of The New York Times

On Jan. 20, 2017 Donald J. Trump will be sworn in as President of the United States of America marking the end of a historic campaign season. The results of the electoral college were 279 to 228* with Michigan, Arizona, and New Hampshire not called yet. The large difference between the predicted electoral votes and the actual results have surprised nearly all Americans. Despite the electoral win, however, Trump lost the popular vote to Clinton, 47.7% to 47.5%*. Such cases are not unheard of; most recently, in 2000, Gore v. Bush sparked controversy when Bush won the electoral college and Gore won the popular vote. In some states it was very close, like in Florida where Trump won 49.1% to Clinton’s 47.1%*. Also, it was unexpectedly close in Michigan and Wisconsin, two typically blue states. Clinton never visited Wisconsin once because she believed she had it locked up, but the results Tuesday proved her wrong. The so-called “Blue Wall” had fallen, and with it fell Clinton’s chances of getting to 270. The reactions were very mixed.

“I am very pleased with this turnout,” said freshmen Joseph Estephan, a self proclaimed Republican. “The things is, is that everybody doubts him, but he always finds a way to prove us wrong. What I see the Republican Party doing is working to spread their ideals and hopefully fulfilling Trump’s promise such as cutting down taxes, deporting illegals, bringing back jobs, etc. So I’d say they are going in a very good direction for all people in this great nation.”

While many were excited for Trump’s win, other students were disheartened.

“I was a little disappointed, because I think Trump is the least qualified candidate and his disrespect for everyone except for white males cannot be tolerated,” said freshmen Rachel Perry, a Bernie Sanders supporter during his primary campaign who turned her support towards former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the general election. “I wanted Hillary to win but I think that the DNC needed to pick the best candidate to beat Trump, and Clinton was not the candidate to do that.”

Though the competition was heated between Trump and Clinton, many third party voters were also disappointed with the results.

“I am upset because Chris Christie, a likely member of Trump’s cabinet, has stated he is specifically anti-free pony,” said Freshmen Nick Mastro, a Vermin Supreme (3rd party candidate) supporter.

It is apparent that the country is severely divided on the issue of presidential politics.