Holiday Choir Concert a joyful and celebratory event

Concert Choir performs ‘O Holy Night’ with the full orchestra, under the direction of Performing Arts teacher Rebecca Marianetti. | Photo by Rebecca Rogers.

On Thursday, Dec. 8, the choir program performed its Holiday Concert under the direction of performing arts teacher Rebecca Marianetti. The concert was made up of three large ensembles: Cadet Choir, Choraliers, and Concert Choir. There were also two a capella choirs: Madrigals and Vida.

“I love this concert because we have the opportunity to have all the choirs involved, and they get to see each other for the first time doing a full concert,” said Marianetti.

The concert began with Vida, the all-girls a capella choir under the direction of Kayla Kummerow Hilliker. Hilliker is a York graduate, and now teaches music in the area. She works with Vida on Monday nights to help them perfect their set, which included a French piece entitled ‘Je ne fus jamais si aise,’ by Pierre Certon, and a beautiful arrangement of ‘Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming,’ by M. Praetorius.

Following Vida was Cadet Choir. This is a beginning choir made up of mostly freshman, who are excited to participate in their first York Choir Concert.

“Comparing our little Cadet Choir to the massive concert choir is insane because someday we’ll be there, and be as good as them, and imagining being in their place is so inspiring,” said Emily Walker, freshman. “I am so excited to see all of the things I’m going to able to do when I’m older because there are so many places to go, and I can’t wait to do everything.”

The cadet choir sang several joyful holiday pieces, such as ‘We Are Lights,’ by Stephan Schwartz, and ‘Saludo,’ by Ruth Morris Gray.

Following Cadet Choir was Madrigals, another a capella group. They began with ‘Silent Night’ from the back of the auditorium, and then marched up to the stage to the traditional ‘Masters in this Hall.’ They continued their set with a lively ‘Joy to the World and ‘Fa Una Canzona,’ a madrigal piece written by Orazio Vecchi. They closed with ‘All is Well,’ and joyful piece by Michal W. Smith.

Madrigals sings their set in a mixed formation, allowing a unique blend of sound. | Photo by Stephanie Monaco.

Next up was Choraliers, a mostly sophomore, all-girls choir. This choir is the next step after Cadet Choir for the girls. The boys audition into Concert Choir, and the sophomore girls audition into Choraliers. Choraliers sang a mix of gospel pieces such as ‘Go Where I Send Thee’ by Ivory and Caldwell, and ‘Ma Navu,’ a Hebrew piece by J. Spivak.

Finally, Concert Choir took the stage. The choir began with ‘Gloucestershire Wassail,’ arranged by Paul French. They continued with ‘O Magnum Mysterium,’ a hauntingly beautiful a capella piece by Morten Lauridsen.

“Mrs. Marianetti always said that this song summed up the reasons why we sing,” said Abbie Lockie, junior. “I really felt that and was able to channel that into my singing because of how beautiful and meaningful it is.”

After these first two songs, Concert Choir was joined by York’s Symphony Orchestra and featured soloists Carina Kanzler, Tatum Langley, and Kathryn Mitchell to perform Vivaldi’s ‘Gloria.’

“I absolutely love when we combine the concert choir with the symphony orchestra, because we have the best orchestra in the state of Illinois, and working with them on masterworks such as the Vivaldi is a true joy,” said Marianetti.

To close the concert, Concert Choir and the full orchestra performed ‘O Holy Night.’ The traditional piece brought many people to tears because of both its beauty and the camaraderie between the different ensembles of the Music Department.

“I didn’t cry at this concert, but I came really close,” said Lockie, on singing ‘O Holy Night’ with the full orchestra. “I love performing with my friends who are in orchestra, and of course my choir friends. We are so fortunate to have such an incredible program, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it.”

With the Holiday Concert successfully finished, all five choirs are beginning preparations for their Winter Concert, which will take place in February. If you missed the Holiday Concert, the Winter concert is your next chance to hear the hard work that the choir students and their director put into their programs.