Welcome to the funk tank: An inside look at jazz band

The jazz band ensemble, comprised of 21 band and orchestra students, performed their repertoire for friends and family at Fitz’s Spare Keys.

Jazz band is an extra-curricular ensemble comprised of York orchestra and band students that meets outside of school to build skills as jazz musicians. This holiday season on Dec. 6, the group performed at Fitz’s Spare Keys for the York Christmas Album release party and surprised students coming into school with live music to lift their spirits before finals.

They showcased many pieces from their repertoire such as “State Line Strut,” along with band and audience favorite “Funk Tank.”

“Funk tank is life,” said senior Sam Jordan-Wood. “It really improved my counting.”

Along with putting on entertaining performances for the York community, the jazz band also teaches students new skills while they tackle jazz techniques, such as “counting.” To work on perfecting their pieces and building these skills, the musicians meet Tuesdays and Thursdays before school along with arriving early on late start Wednesdays to hold student-led sectionals.

“You have to get past 6:45 show up time, but it’s a lot of fun,” said junior Olivia Braun. “There’s a lot of really good people, awesome gigs, and everyone loves the music.”

The week before finals is a stressful week for all students, but Tuesday, Dec. 13, jazz band brightened the morning of students arriving at the academic entrance with the music that “everyone loves.”  

Jazz band warms students entering the school with their music on the chilly Tuesday before finals.

“Jazz band always improves my day because I think it’s so awesome that no matter what group you are in at York or what you’re involved in, you can walk into school and get to hear this amazing music,” said junior Abbie Lockie, who heard the band on her way into school Tuesday. “Just having that start to your day is so delightful and it sets the tone for the rest of the day.”

As the semester comes to a close, York is grateful for the jazz musicians who’ve dedicated their time to bring their school joy through music.

“Jazz music just makes people happy in general, so it only makes sense that it does the same to our school,” said junior Sam Griffin. “It’s that simple, so why not share that happiness with everyone we possibly can?”