Filed under A&E Reviews, Showcase

Is Taylor Swift Dead?

On Aug. 25, Taylor Swift released her new single titled “Look What You Made Me Do,” surprising fans and listeners by displaying a new side of Taylor. “Look What You Made Me Do” is said to be a jab at Kanye and Kim West who she feuded with in the summer of 2016 over Kanye’s single “Famous” where West took credit for Swift’s fame. This single is the first track released off of Swift’s new album, “Reputation”. 

Photo courtesy of Billboard
Taylor Swift’s sixth album titled, “Reputation.”

Quarrels aside, “Look What You Made Me Do” is completely different from Swift’s past singles. Swift is known for her upbeat songs in the past including “Shake It Off” and “We Are Never Getting Back Together,” which seem to capture Swift’s well-known cheerfulness and positivity. 

Photo courtesy of Flavorwire
An image from Taylor Swift’s, “Shake It Off” video.

However, it seems that Taylor has undergone a metamorphosis which is accurately described in her recent single as she sings, “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, ‘cause she’s dead!” This line has made an impactful statement pertaining to Swift’s persona. Listeners have yet to find what this means for Swift’s personality, music, and future work.  

Despite Swift’s cryptic lyrics, one thing for certain is that a new era of Taylor Swift has been ushered in following the release of “Look What You Made Me Do”.

“Look What You Made Me Do” is not only stirring up conversation across the globe, but also across York. Many Dukes coin themselves as “Swifties,” a term used to describe a fan of Taylor Swift. The release of the music video for “Look What You Made Me Do,” which set a record of 43.2 million views in 24 hours, has contributed to the conversation as well. 

Photo courtesy of Billboard
Taylor Swift in the, “Look What You Made Me Do.”

“I was really shocked because it was such a different Taylor Swift,” said sophomore Gabriella Purpora. “At first I did not like it, but after I saw the video I can’t stop watching it. It’s actually pretty good. Taylor Swift is so good at clapping back at the haters.”

Sophomore Gabriella Purpora was surprised to see the new Taylor featured in “Look What You Made Me Do.”

Additionally, Elizabeth Cooke, a sophomore, commented on Swift’s lyric where she claimed the old Taylor was dead: “It’s my favorite line of 2017.” 

Elizabeth Cooke, sophomore, loves the line “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, ‘cause she’s dead!”.

However, not everyone at York is in love with Swift’s, “Look What You Made Me Do”.

“It sucks,” said Nida Ahmed, sophomore. “It was overhyped. It’s not her music, it’s different and she’s psycho.” 

Sophomore Nida Ahmed is not a fan of “Look What You Made Me Do.”

Many dislike the repetitive and monotone chorus in, “Look What You Made Me Do.” Additionally, some are taken aback by the edginess and unforgiving vibes she gives off within the video, especially when she proclaims the death of the old Taylor.

However, there is an upside to this odd line: memes. 

“I think the song is a little weird and it’s a little different for Taylor,” sophomore Kevin Haller said. “I like all the memes that have been made about it. My favorite one is the iCarly one. There are some pretty good memes made about that song.” 

A “Look What You Made Me Do” meme regarding the show “iCarly”.

Kevin Haller likes the memes that have been created since the release of, “Look What You Made Me Do”.

Memes pertaining to, “Look What You Made Me Do” are a dime a dozen on the internet, all of which showcase the lyrics “I’m sorry, the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, ‘cause she’s dead!” along with different celebrities and icon featured with a different version of themselves. 

Peppa Pig is the center of a meme pertaining to Swift’s new single.

David Schwimmer who played Ross on the television show, “Friends” is highlighted in a, “Look What You Made Me Do” meme.

In addition to “Look What You Made Me Do” Swift dropped the song, “… Ready For It?” on Sept. 3. This single did not make quite a big of a splash as “Look What You Made Me Do”, but it also showcases Taylor Swift’s evolution of music. As of September 5th, “… Ready For It?” is the number one song on the iTunes and, “Look What You Made Me Do” is number two.

Taylor Swift’s new music style may be a mystery but it is sure to make a mark this November as it’s released.

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

October Concert Recap

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Advanced Dance puts on dance concert in Black Box studio featuring York Dance Company

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Drama Club takes “Newsies” field trip

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Behind Beautiful Trauma: An Album Review

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Stranger Things Season 2 review: demodogs, dads, and more

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Members of One Direction go their own direction

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Sketch club has big plans for upcoming year

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

York Drama presents “The Children’s Hour” and “Next to Normal” in the 2017 Fall Festival

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

October T.V. Recap

• Is Taylor Swift Dead?

A&E Reviews

Under the Monocle: Sam Griffin, Marriott Theatre’s Newest Newsie

Is Taylor Swift Dead?