Filed under HOMECOMING, Showcase, Sports

Dukes face the Red Devils at homecoming football game

York High School and Hinsdale Central get in their positions for the next line of scrimmage at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson

Photo by Nate Swanson

Students came decked out in green and white to support their fellow classmates at the homecoming football game against Hinsdale Central on Fri., Sept. 22, the game ending 31-7.  Although it didn’t end as well as York hoped, the student section had a great time cheering their team on from the stands.

Photo by Nate Swanson
Seniors Chris Lahey (left), Nick Incandela (center), and Matt Schlitter (right), the PokeDukes, continue the tradition as winners of the King of the Couch competition. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

“I love the homecoming game because it has the most spirit, and every one is the most pumped up,” said senior Lily Labuda. “All the students come and have a good time regardless of the score.”

The team took the outcome of the game with dignity, focusing on the experience of playing rather than the score.

“The experience running out and playing on Friday nights is an awesome thing you get to share with a bunch of guys that you develop friendships with,” said Varsity Captain David Leonard.

Photo by Nate Swanson
Senior Maya Moran, drum major, conducts York Marching Band during their routine at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

The York poms and cheer teams also work hard to entertain the crowd during half time, along with the Duke marching band, and it doesn’t go unappreciated by the students.

“The halftime show is my favorite because the poms and cheer are really well choreographed and get the crowd very hyped,” said senior Sydney Morenz.

The students had a good time watching the game and cheering, and although Hinsdale had the lead, it didn’t stop the Duke spirit.

“I love the cheering and the chants in the senior section. I think it’s cool how everyone’s spirit just feeds off of each other,” said senior Rachael Sebonia.

The hope the team still has for future games and the pride the students bring to the games to support their peers creates an unimaginable experience for everyone- especially players when running out on the field.  

“I get chills every time,” said David Leonard.

Photo by Nate Swanson
(From left to right) Seniors Grace Vincent, Regina Hughes, Danielle Fite, Abbie Lockie, Carina Kanzler, Eileen King, and Nolan Knupp show off their Duke pride at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
York cheerleaders balance themselves with boldness and grace for fans at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
York High School Varsity football gets hyped before the start of their Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
Junior Zane Heemsoth is taken care on the sidelines at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
Senior John Sopko (left) takes his helmet off for a breather during the Homecoming football game against Hinsdale Central. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
Seniors Andrew Hilgendorf (left), Maya Moran (center), and Olivia Braun (right), Drum Majors, communicate with one another before their next routine. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
York  cheerleaders perform their routines for their audience. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
Sophomore Joshua Mathiasen (left) tackles Hinsdale Central at the Homecoming football game.

Photo by Nate Swanson
York seniors watch attentively at the York vs. Hinsdale Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
York High School Color Guard performs their routine at the Homecoming football game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
Poké Dukes, King of the Couch winners, pridefully sit on the front lines as they watch the Homecoming game ensue. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

Photo by Nate Swanson
(From left to right) Seniors Andrew Hilgendorf, Jimmy Chaudoin, Maya Moran, and Olivia Braun, drum najors, lead the York Color Guard and York Marching Band to start of the Homecoming game. Fri., Sept. 22, 2017

• Dukes face the Red Devils at homecoming football game

Features

Freshman homecoming reactions: Fun or a total flop?

Features

How homecoming affects local businesses

HOMECOMING

Dukes finish out Homecoming Week with another successful pep rally

• Features

Homecoming Hallway Decorations

HOMECOMING

Homecoming: Is dateless the way to go?

Features

Homecoming Spirit Week: Jersey Thursday

HOMECOMING

Junior and senior Lady Dukes dominate the 2017 Powder Puff game

Features

Homecoming Spirit Week: Patriotic Wednesday

Features

Homecoming Spirit Week: Hawaiian Tuesday

Features

Homecoming spirit week: Pajama Monday