District finalists announced for Illinois Music Education Association (IMEA)

The Illinois Music Education Association (IMEA) is a state organization that auditions high school musicians from Illinois to be placed in district-level choirs, bands, and orchestras. Illinois is split up into nine districts, and musicians audition in October throughout the state.

“IMEA is a music competition focused mainly on musicianship, and the first level to make is district,” said senior and district choir member Jackie Meyer. “Then you can further proceed to state in Peoria where we get to stay for a weekend and work with talented directors and composers.”

Photo by Isabelle Dyer
IMEA district finalists list

The audition for IMEA is a “performance test” totaling of 100 points with 4 parts: including 2 prepared pieces, sight reading, tonals skills, and overall tone quality for choir. The auditions differ slightly for band orchestra and choir.

“We were given two etudes to practice, plus a sheet of scales,” said senior and district band member, Olivia Braun. “There were 4 different rooms for the actual audition, and in the first room I played an excerpt from one etude, and an excerpt from another etude in the next room. Then we went to a sight reading room, where we were given 1 minute to look over music then play it. Finally, we went to the last room and played the entire scales sheet.”

The auditions for band and orchestra instrumentalists are virtually the same, and the IMEA judges get to decide who gets put in the district orchestra and district band.

“Auditioning for IMEA orchestra as a wind instrument requires a band director to indicate your preference to be in the orchestra over band,” said junior and district orchestra member Siena Olson. “The actual audition has the same playing requirements as a band audition, however the judges choose specific musicians to put in orchestra instead of band.”

At the auditions in October musicians are also selected for “All-State or Honors,” which takes place at the Illinois Music Education Conference in Peoria in January. The All State and Honors choirs, orchestras, and bands make up the best singers per district and are conducted by college level conductors, rehearsing brand new repertoire.

“I decided to do IMEA because I love challenging myself and pushing my limits,” said senior and district choir member Nicole Polizzi. “I love the actual day of IMEA because I get to see other singers of all different high schools and it’s amazing to see all sorts of amazing talent, incredible directors, and above all have a great experience.”

For many students, this is not their first year competing in IMEA, and many students return the following year to gain even more experience working with professionals. For York musicians, IMEA is an exciting day many look forward to.

“I’m excited because it’s a full day of working with professionals and singing with people who are really invested,” said senior and district choir member, Carina Kanzler.

Many students are also enthusiastic to gain an opportunity to play or sing in an environment outside of York band, orchestra, or choir classes.

“I’m super excited to be able to play with people that are all as serious about music as I am, and the opportunity to work with professionals,” said Braun. “It’s an opportunity to play that’s different than band in school, which is exciting.”

Good luck to all of our musicians competing for state!