Behind Beautiful Trauma: An Album Review

Photo by Julia Jardon

Apple Music displays an advertisement to buy P!nk’s new album, “Beautiful Trauma,” at the La Salle bus station in Chicago.

Fri., Oct. 13, P!nk released her newest album “Beautiful Trauma,” which happens to be her first full album since 2012. Beginning her musical career in 2000, P!nk has released 7 studio albums and has written singles for movies like “Mean Girls,” “Alice through the Looking Glass,” and the 2001 rendition of “Moulin Rouge.”

Photo by Julia Jardon
P!nk’s newest album cover displayed at the La Salle bus station in Chicago.

A few months prior to the release of her newest album “Beautiful Trauma,” P!nk released her newest single “What About Us,” on Aug. 10, 2017. Constantly on the radio, number one on P!nk’s Spotify and gaining popularity around the world, P!nk’s “What About Us” is labeled as a political rally cry, but co-writer, Johnny McDaid, when speaking with Billboard, refused to release the true meaning to the public, making any guess is as good as the next. Sophomore, Sam Neely, shared her idea of what the meaning behind “What About Us” is:

“The overall message, entirely in my opinion, is personal power and strengths that people have,” Neely said. “We need to, basically, ride up and show off what we have.”

The third song on the album, “What About Us,” has definitely been a smash hit, but the title of the album is “Beautiful Trauma.” The title has an ominous ring to it, but it’s beautifying chaos. So why name an album that? P!nk answered that question during an interview on the Nova Podcast station during a segment called “Smallzy’s Surgery.”

“I think life is very traumatic. I think the world is in a scary spot right now but I also think there’s beautiful people everywhere,” said Alecia Moore, more commonly known by her stage name, P!nk, during an interview with Smallzy. “I have to remind myself and those around me that there’s more good people than bad and everything that you go through is making you a better person.”

The reason behind the title of the album and the title of the first track on the album seem very loosely related. Whereas, the album title is more summarizing life on the entire globe, the title song “Beautiful Trauma” brings up a common theme from a lot of P!nk’s music: love and heartbreak. In the first song on her new album, P!nk compares her husband to a “pill I keep taking,” “a nightmare I keep waking,” “my perfect rock bottom,” then calls him “my beautiful trauma.” In previous albums, P!nk mentions her relationship with her husband, talking about how  much she loves him but how much she hates him.

“No one makes me more angry and makes me have more butterflies in my belly than that dude,” said P!nk, during her interview on Nova.

Relationships, whether romantic or just a friendship, have ups and downs and everyone has a different way of reacting to the variety of emotions related to relationships. For P!nk, that emotional release is music.

“It starts from a very selfish, narcissistic place of “I have a lot of problems and I’m very sad and I’m very angry about this” and then this happens,” P!nk said. “And then I write the songs and then you realize that there are other people going through all the same stuff you are.”

And it’s true, a lot of people can take things out of P!nk’s music.

“I can relate to [“Perfect”] because I was told I wasn’t good enough and I was constantly underestimated,” said sophomore Sophia Fisher. “Everyone wants me to be perfect but maybe I don’t want to be. Maybe I just want to be different.”

Photo courtesy of Billboard
Pop star Alecia Moore, commonly known as P!nk, finishes her performace, hand-in-hand with her dance crew at the 2017 VMA’s.
Aug. 27, 2017

Senior Riley Olson also relates to P!nk’s music. Though her music is relatable, Olson shared her opinion of P!nk’s music overall.

“I relate to most of them and some are extremely encouraging to me, and all of her music has really nice beats and a good mixture of instruments and/or volumes,” said senior Riley Olson.

With a mixture between pop and rock, ranging from serene to raging parties, P!nk’s music is relatable to many people. Some musicians are more popular with adults rather than children or adolescents, some more popular with girls rather than boys, and in some ways P!nk is more popular with girls just because of her point of view and the way she addresses females, but there is no targeted age for her audience. Teachers and parents and students alike can find and appreciate the messages displayed in her music.

“Her music is so unique and so beautiful,” freshman Christian Daum said, “like how she has certain rhythms and tempos and it makes you want to dance to it.”

Even if teenagers can find more meaning to her music and her messages about individual and being who you are, adults can still appreciate where she’s coming from.

“You can be different, you can be unique, and she celebrates that and I think that’s really important right now for our youth, and I really like that,” counselor Ms. Weber said. “And it’s fun, too; you can dance to it.”

Since her first album, “You can’t take me home,” P!nk has been releasing fun upbeat music and songs that make you feel everything. All of her music, whether upbeat and fun or slow and meaningful, she makes gestures to very similar messages: independence, love for one’s self and heartbreak.

“I like P!nk because she is very open, honest, and such a great role model for many people,” said junior Ainsley Bonner. “She never lets people get her down and always stays true to who she really is.”

Math teacher Ms. Stipe agrees with Ainsley about Moore’s individuality.

“I like that she doesn’t conform–seems to be her own person,” said Ms. Stipe.

Photo courtesy by Billboard
Holding the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, P!nk addresses her daughter, Willow, during her acceptance speech, on Aug. 27, 2017.

During the MTV Music Awards on Aug. 27, 2017, P!nk won the coveted Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and dedicated it to her six year old daughter, Willow, and followed with an Oscar worthy speech about accepting and being yourself.

“So, baby girl, we don’t change. We take the gravel in the shell and we make a pearl,” P!nk said to her daughter during her speech at the VMA’s. “And we help other people change so they can see more kinds of beauty.”