Historic wins on Election Day 2017

Photo curtesy of the Toronto Star

Democratic nominee to the Virginia House of Delegates Danica Roem after hearing of her win on Nov. 7, 2017.

In case you didn’t know, this Tues., Nov. 7 was a big day for our government.  Known as Election Day, it’s the day set by law for the general elections of federal public officials.  Generally, it takes place the Tuesday after Nov. 1.  The results of the elections this year, however, have touched the hearts of many; there were multiple first triumphs for minority group candidates all over the U.S.  

Many York students are feeling glee upon hearing of these incredible wins.

“I think that it’s inspiring to see minorities progress through our branches of government, and it makes me hopeful for our future,” said sophomore Paul Benson.

Hoboken, New Jersey elected their very first Sikh Mayor, Ravi Bhalla.  Despite the racist reactions floating around New Jersey, Bhalla continues to wear his turban with pride as their new Mayor. Flyers calling Bhalla a “terrorist” were going around three days prior to the election, but Bhalla did not let that get him down.  

“Of course this is troubling, but we won’t let hate win,” said Bhalla in a tweet.

In Virginia, Elizabeth Guzmán and Hala Ayala became the first Latinas to be elected to the Virginia House of Delegates.  These gains also helped make the Virginia House of Delegates become more democratic rather than republican dominated.  

A prideful sophomore Latina, Samantha Cruz, is ecstatic about these results.  

“It makes me really proud and happy because it shows our progress, as a community of Latinas, in respect and equality,” said Cruz.

On another note, beating anti-LGBT Republican state house seat holder of 26 years Bob Marshall, Danica Roem was elected the very first openly transgender Virginia state legislator. Many trans candidates have tried to be elected, but Roem is the first to actually do so.  Roem already has many plans as a state legislator including improving traffic problems, teacher salary, and jobs.  Roem also makes it a priority to make the spirit of democracy alive as a state legislator.  

“No matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify—and yeah, how you rock—that if you have good public policy ideas and you’re well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table because this is your America too,” said Roem.

In a similar feat, Minneapolis elected their first openly transgender person of color for their City Council.  Andrea Jenkins is not only one of the first for Minneapolis, but she is also one of the very first transgender persons of color to be elected to any office in the United States, ever.  

“I think that the integration is necessary, and it has shown that we are breaking away from old societal norms,” says sophomore Sofia Pizarro.

The first African American woman mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina was elected as well.  Winning 58% of the votes over her Republican competitor, Kenny Smith, Vi Lyles is extremely prideful of her win as a minority woman. Previously, Lyles has worked to improve social and economic injustices in Charlotte. In a speech, Lyles gets heartfelt on her win.  

“With this opportunity you’ve given me, you’ve proven that we are a city of opportunity and inclusiveness … you’ve proven that a woman whose father didn’t graduate from high school can become this city’s first female African-American mayor,” said Lyles.

Nonetheless, all these first wins for a variety of minority group candidates have been uplifting during these recent devastating times.

“Since we are a representative democracy, it is important that we have representation of a variety of beliefs, cultures, and people in our legislature that represent the U.S as a whole.  We cannot have just one type of person, we need ALL types so that we can all have a voice that truly reflects who we are,” said an anonymous source. “Therefore, all these wins for our representative democracy are truly wonderful because we are compiling a stronger representation of the United States.”