StuCo sees Increased Spirit in Busy Yet Successful Semester

Student Council is not only the key to a functioning York Community High School, but it maintains school-wide traditions as well. This semester, the council has been putting their own unique twist on events that have drawn crowds of students larger than ever before. The club is largely run by President Olivia Pechous along with the accompanying executive board, including senior Meghan Ferreri and junior Abby Ross.

“The executive board is a strong group of leaders,” JJ Hennessy, sophomore and student council member, said. “They are very good at rallying school spirit and interest in ideas that would benefit York as a whole.”

The initial rush of school spirit began in September, with Homecoming. This year’s theme was ‘Red, White, and Duke.’ The event, for the first time at York, drew a crowd of larger than 2,000 students.

“This year’s theme was really great because it enabled us to bring the whole event together cohesively,” Haley Brown, freshman, said. “It was easier for us to find decorations as well because the theme wasn’t as complicated.”

Although Student Council may seem like a barrage of work, members have their fun with a weekly ‘Friday Funday’ to lighten the mood. Junior Mollie Grasse’s endless ideas for games to play during these periods, such as a Disney trivia competition, makes it seldom that Student Council is a boring event.

“It’s a great opportunity to relax a little,” Leena Lukose, junior, said. “I like being able to have fun with the other people in Student Council.”

Student Council’s post-Homecoming agenda is only growing, with the council just having orchestrated the annual ‘Movie on the Field’ event. This year’s movie was ‘Jurassic World’ with roughly 250 students in attendance for the viewing. “Many people stayed throughout the chilly weather,” Emma Lutz, Chair of the ‘Movie on the Field’ committee, said.“It was great to see so many people there.”

Student Council members are not only given the unique opportunity to see the inner workings of events, but they are also given the responsibility of being seen as leaders in their respective grade levels.

“It’s a great opportunity to be a leader in our York community,” Julia Ebner, freshman, said.

“Talking to your student council representative can be a benefit to all of us– we are the ones that can put your ideas into action,” Lutz said. “We can’t do it without the students!”

Is a Dance Next?

After a busy first semester, student council is excited to push forward with plans for the rest of the year and possible new events in the future, such as a second dance, during the winter.

Although York once hosted a winter dance, the tradition was ended due to low ticket sales several years ago and was never resurrected. However, renewed interest a winter dance has Student Council planning for a dance in February.

In November, Student Council sent out survey to the student body, seeking feedback on any interest in holding a winter dance. Over 97% of the five hundred students who voted said ‘yes’ to a winter dance, with half of those that responding voting for a dance in February.

While the dance committee had considered planning the dance for this year, it may be difficult to organize.

Several members of the executive board speak to the council on Nov. 10 before beginning the weekly ‘Friday Funday’, with that week’s being charades.

“Chaperones would need to be lined up, which is a huge challenge, so as of now we are planning for February 2018,” sophomore Grace Maietta said.