Filed under News, Showcase

Finals week attempts to be a little happier

A student grabs candy after reading the “Good Luck on Exams” in the academic entrance

With finals week approaching and with stress levels of students rising, Student Council attempted to make things a little more happy with “Happy Week”.  In efforts to spread positivity in such frantic times, Student Council carried out small acts of kindness amongst the students at York.

“When finals week comes around I feel like all my teachers just dump an overload of stress and work on me,” sophomore Lily Lopez said. “It really brings my mood down because I become way too concerned about my grades and cramming all the possible information I can for exams.”

Students become overwhelmed with receiving good grades that they often don’t have time to take a break and relax. That’s where Student Council came in with Happy Week in efforts to boost the moods of students even just a little bit`.

“We decided to hang posters with motivational sayings at the academic entrance,” said sophomore and Happy Week chair, James Hennessy. “We also added a small box full of candy at the academic entrance for students to take because candy always makes kids feel better.”

Small gestures can go a long way for some people, especially when the person receiving the gesture is going through a particularly difficult time. Finals can definitely seem like an exceptionally rough patch in the eyes of the determined high school student.

“I wish I wasn’t so worried and flustered around final exam time,” sophomore Nida Ahmed said. “I just feel like exams weigh me down and then I’m so busy with striving to earn an A in all of my classes that I forget to be happy.”

The goal of Happy Week is to give a little reminder for students to be happy. Make them stop and think, even if it is only for a moment, that they can succeed. Students should have more confidence in their abilities rather than more stress and worry that they will fail.

“Even if the student simply smiles at the posters we made, I think our efforts for happy week succeeded,” Hennessy said. “Sometimes, it’s the littlest things in someone’s day that may boost their mood.”

• Finals week attempts to be a little happier

News

Sign up here for Mr. Duke Contest

News

Sign up for Student Council’s next blood drive

News

York expands junior English and U.S. History program

A&E Reviews

Amature Musicians Club hosts open mic night

News

Can Dukes Go Green as much as they Bleed Green?

News

A shift in substance abuse: vaping rises to the top

Featured Photo of the Week

What Now?: York uses group counseling to fight substance abuse

News

Sign up for BadMANton tournament

• News

York ECO Club at Northern Illinois Food Bank

News

Garden Club donates 50 pounds of produce for Yorkfield Food Pantry