Trivia Night gains attendance and turns into a huge success.

Photo by Luc Plaisted

Trivia Night participants gather at the halfway break, despite the heavy competition and rivalries between them on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018.

Trivia Night, the biannual gathering of people with too much useless knowledge, occurred last Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018 in The York Commons. The event was hosted by Student Council and was attended by seven eager teams.

Photo by Luc Plaisted
The champions of Trivia Night, John Triiviolta, show off their t-shirts that they were awarded for winning the game. Spot them around school, bragging to all about their impressive achievement.

“Honestly, I had a great time at Trivia Night,” said sophomore Andrew Trenta, who played for the team ‘Grade A Beef’ . “I was really just expecting to have fun talking to my friends, but I got really competitive with the other teams, and got into the whole experience.”

The night turned out to be a quite competitive game, with many of the seven rounds of trivia being quite close in scoring. However, after round two there was a team that began to clearly pull ahead. That team was John Triviolta, the reigning champs, who by round three, had 28 points, which is a mere two points missed out of a possible 30.

“It was interesting to compete in Trivia Night with my parents,” said sophomore Grace Maietta, captain of John Triviolta. “It gave us a clear advantage that helped us to pull ahead early.”

The team of parents and friends obliterated the competition with a score of 62 of a possible 70, with the second place team, Make Trivia Great Again, coming in with 56.

“It is awesome to be the winners of Trivia Night, especially because we had so many top scores throughout the rounds,” Maietta said. “I had a lot of fun with the other teams, but in the end had the most fun beating them.”

This time around, there were a lot of teams for John Triviolta to beat in order to secure the victory, as attendance for Trivia Night was much higher than it has been in the past. This made the head of the Trivia Night committee on Student Council, sophomore Will Ahern, to be quite optimistic.

“I feel that Trivia Night was a great success,” Ahern said. “We have been trying to get a better turnout this time, and we really got that. We might try to have one more Trivia Night this year, as a result of the heightened interest in this one.”

If you are interested in Trivia Night, there is a possibility that it will be coming back this year due to popular demand, but if it doesn’t, be sure to watch for the announcements next year, and get together a group of your smartest friends and family members. Who knows, maybe you could dethrone the two time champs, John Triviolta.