4 Speech team members advance to the state meet

The+four+York+students+that+are+advancing+to+Peoria+following+the+awards+ceremony+at+Elk+Grove+High+School.+

Photo courtesy of Drew McGuire

The four York students that are advancing to Peoria following the awards ceremony at Elk Grove High School.

Juniors Joe Brown, David Hansen, Mike Bindeman and Erin Lee will be going down to Peoria this Friday to compete against the best of the best in Illinois. Before advancing to sectionals, students had to go through a regional meet at Fenton High School in Bensenville on Saturday, Feb. 10. All but one event advanced from the regional meet to the sectional, but York faced challenges this weekend, being in one of the most competitive regionals.

Speech coach John Forsythe coaches Humorous Duet Acting, Dramatic Duet Acting, and directs Performance in the Round. His duet actors, Mike Bindeman and Erin Lee, advanced to state for the coming weekend in Humorous Duet Acting, though they competed at regionals and sectionals for both acting events. Though his Performance in the Round did not move on to the next level, having this powerhouse duet advance was an incredible experience.

“It felt great,” Forsythe said. “I would have loved to see them all advance, but it felt great.”

Coach Kathryn Dowling did not have any students advance to state, but she had the honor to coach a freshman, Kathryn King, in two different events. She may not have reached the state level, but she was so proud of the potential King has for the next three years.

“I think that we had a really strong season, and all of the kids worked really hard so they should feel very proud of themselves,” Dowling said.

Photo courtesy of Kathryn King
Sophomore Grace Maietta and freshman Kathryn King attending Saturday’s meet. King (right) was the only freshman competing for an individual event at both regionals and sectionals, and she was double entered in Poetry and Prose.

This year’s speech team had over 70 members, which according to head coach Martin was a large amount.

“When I first came to York, we did not have a lot of kids doing speech,” Martin said. “But now, we have a lot of students coming from the drama department, which has really helped create a larger team.”

Martin has been working at York for two years and is excited about the team that he has created. Though they didn’t have too many events advance, he is excited about the four individuals that will be competing.

Junior Erin Lee will be competing in Humorous Duet Acting with her partner Mike Bindeman at state. When she found out they were going to Peoria, she was exuberant.

“It was amazing and I was so excited, I could not stop smiling,” Lee said. “It was just utter relief, I cannot wait for next weekend.”

The whole team is in anticipation for what is to come, and are, hopefully, awaiting the victory of their teammates.

Joe Brown- Impromptu Speaking
Mike Bindeman and Erin Lee- Humorous Duet Acting
David Hansen- Original Comedy