THIS IS YORK

Filed under News, Showcase

Mock trial team placed second in state after eight years

The varsity team basks in their victory as they pose around the University of Illinois College of Law sign.

York’s Mock Trial team took home second place for the first time after competing at state on Saturday, Mar. 24 into Sunday, Mar. 25 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where more than 45 schools state-wide participated.

In the first trial on Saturday, York competed against Niles North High School as the defense. Though Niles North’s witnesses were difficult, York was able to overcome the challenges and successfully win the trial.

In the second trial against Libertyville High School on Sunday, York easily dominated as plaintiff.

York made top eight and was able to compete in the third round against Hinsdale Central High School as plaintiff for the first time in the 2018 season.

Ultimately, York placed second while Hinsdale Central placed third and St.Charles North High School took home first.

Senior Grace Tully won an Outstanding Attorney as well as an Outstanding Witness award, and Junior Katy Clugg was recognized as an Outstanding Witnesses and Senior Zorian Schiffman an Outstanding Attorney.

Photo by Elizabeth Birchler
After spending over two hours napping and practicing on the bus, the varsity team pulled into a small diner to have some lunch before their first trial of the competition. Mar. 24, 2018.

Photo by Amy Mueller
Near the end of her cross-examination, senior Grace Tully consults with teammate senior Hollie Albin on any further questions she may need to ask. Mar. 24, 2017.

Photo by Amy Mueller
After a rough case-in-chief for the plaintiff, senior Hollie Albin wins back the evaluators’ favor through her calm demeanor and friendly tone during her direct examinations. Mar. 24, 2018.

Photo by Katy Clugg
The team gathered in the lobby of the University of Illinois College of Law after completing their first trial. Mar. 24, 2018.

Photo by Amy Mueller
In preparation for the written test to be had the next day, the team gathers into a hotel room to study old practice tests and discuss the answers. Mar. 24, 2018.

Photo by Honey Tey
Seniors Honey Tey (left), Hollie Albin and Grace Tully (right) break their professionalism for a moment to pose for an impromptu selfie with their coach Amy Mueller in a hotel mirror. Mar. 24, 2018.

Photo by Amy Mueller
Seniors Honey Tey and Grace Tully decide to squeeze in a quick, but intense, game of chess before heading to compete in their second trial. Mar. 25, 2018.

Photo by Elizabeth Birchler
Varsity members pose in front of the College of Law at University of Illinois before their third trial against Hinsdale Central.

Photo by Katy Clugg
Senior Chris Foster sits on his trusty Box next to what he deemed as the lucky plant as the team waits to hear results from the first two rounds, and also while his team attempts to convince him to come play Mafia with them. Mar. 25, 2018.

Photo by Amy Mueller
After a few good minutes of crying out of happiness and frantically calling parents, the team attempts to pull themselves together for a quick photo with their precious plaque. Mar. 25, 2017.

Photo by Amy Mueller
Senior Varsity members (left to right) Zorian Schiffman, Grace Tully, Honey Tey, Chris Foster, and Hollie Albin, who have been on Mock trial team since their freshman year, pause to bask in their first win at the State competition. Mar. 25, 2018.

Photo by Amy Mueller                                                                                                    The varsity team, high off of their success, sprint to retake the photo by the College of Law sign to celebrate their victory. Mar. 25, 2018.

About the Writer
Honey Tey, Business and Production Manager
eyHoney Tey is a senior and this her first year on staff. Besides being a Business and Production Manager for York-Hi, she is the Captain of York’s Mock Trial Team, a member of Peer Jury, and participates in many other extracurricular activities. In her free time (bless senior year), she loves to constantly be on the move...
  • Mock trial team placed second in state after eight years

News

Attend York’s centennial celebrations

News

SENIORS ONLY, order your senior jersey!

News

Cafeteria survey

News

Sign up for Powder Puff

News

Seniors, reserve your shirt!

News

Click here for anonymous school safety survey

News

Seniors, vote for the senior shirt design you want!

News

Interested in a back to school social?

News

Student Council needs your help to propose winter dance

News

Click Here to sign up for 2018 King/Queen of the Couch

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL