Jazz band hosts final concert of the year

The+trumpets+keep+their+eyes+on+Mr.+Riddle+to+stay+in+time+during+their+fourth+song%2C+Go+Go.+

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace

The trumpets keep their eyes on Mr. Riddle to stay in time during their fourth song, “Go Go.”

Madeleine DeGrace, Reporter & Editor-in-Chief, Y's Tales

On Thurs., April 26, the York Jazz Lab Band and Jazz Ensemble, along with the middle school jazz band, joined together in the York Commons to celebrate their final concert of the year. Playing everything from jazz standards to jazz waltzes, student musicians ended the year in swingin’ style. Here are some highlights:

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
A large crowd gathered in the York Commons for this year’s final jazz concert.
Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
The middle school jazz band, with a few high schoolers intermixed, started the night off with a song featuring many of the middle schoolers with improvised solos.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
The second song the middle school band played had an upbeat tempo and funky name: “Burritos to Go,” by Victor Lopez.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Sophomore Joe Brown soloed with the jazz lab band during their first song, “Ready Freddie.”

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Edgar Roman, a junior, soloed on his saxophone during “Cheep Shot” with the jazz lab band.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Sophomore Lauren Mackinney slaps her stand up bass.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
The trumpet section of lab band carries out their final song, loud and proud.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Soloing in their final song “Cheep Shot,” Maggie Wisniewiski keeps her horn up for all to hear.

In between the lab band and ensemble, the York Jazz Combo played a tune called, “All the Things You Are.”

Mason Lampa and Julien Wrobel, both sophomores, play drum set and bass in the combo.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
After finishing their song, Ben Pavlik is all smiles.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Mr. Riddle, conducting jazz ensemble, encourages the band to bring their noise up and louder.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
The trombone section pulls through during the first ensemble song, “The Zachman is Back.”

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Senior Sam Griffin joined the ensemble singing, “The Lady is a Tramp,” a jazz classic.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Featuring Chuck Miller, a senior, for the entirety of the song, “But Beautiful,” was chosen by Miller for the complexity of a jazz waltz.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Chuck Miller, standing front and center, wows the crowd with his talent on the saxophone.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Liam Warren, junior, and Aaron Ludkowski, sophomore, keep their eyes on their music.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Eddie Ryan, junior, solos during the final song, “I Mean You” – a song with a jazzy New Orleans beat.

Photo by Madeleine DeGrace
Andrew Hilgendorf, senior, focuses on the style of the song during “I Mean You.”