Choir puts a new swing on choral concerts

Winter Concert is filled with jazz and acapella selections.

The York Choirs presented their Winter Concert featuring four different groups; this concert was comprised of more modern pieces, instead of the usual Handel or traditional choral style.

Photo by CeCe Lampa
Before the concert, senior Helena Koczur prepares for her solo on “You and I”, which also featured senior Bridey Costello. “I absolutely adore Lady Gaga and having the opportunity to sing a legendary, powerful song by her is truly an amazing experience,” Koczur said. “Bridey was the most perfect person to bring this song to life with me, and it was truly an amazing feeling getting to sing my heart out with her by my side.”
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Freshman Owen Espinosa sets up the stage for his solo on “Shed a Little Light”.  “This was my first choir solo ever so this song will always have a special place in my heart because it was such an amazing first experience,” Espinosa said.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Freshman Rosie Kungl takes a scat solo on “Take the A Train”, a jazz standard. “Scatting was stressful at first because you just have to get up there and sing whatever comes out of your mouth, but once you get the hang of it, it is super fun to sing,” Kungl said.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Freshman Nathan Lee before his solo on “Over the Rainbow”. The piece was also accompanied by freshman Jackie Cimino on her ukulele.
During Acapella’s second piece, I’m Yours, senior Wilke Macariola sings the popular chorus. “I loved “I’m Yours” because it is my grandmother’s absolute favorite song and she came and watched it tonight,” Macariola said. “It was so great to see the smile on her face afterward.”
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Joining Macariola was senior Jake Rehling, who had a special love for the piece as well. “I’m Yours” is one of the first songs I ever heard and instantly loved,” Rehling said. “Getting to sing the solo was so much fun for me, but it was especially fun singing with Wilke because he is one of my closest friends.”
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Acapella ended their set with “I’ll Be Waiting”, led by senior Kate Gehrke. “Singing a song by the queen and my idol Adele just gave me so much confidence in my voice, ” Gehrke said. “Knowing that I had the support of everyone behind me just made the experience all the more monumental for me.”
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Senior Joe Brown begins “Seinn-O” with a brief explanation of the creation of the piece. The song comes from Irish culture, from a period when citizens were banned from using bagpipes, so they decided to explore all of the sounds that could be made by the mouth.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Choral director Rebecca Marianetti conducts “Seinn-O”, a very complex song filled with many countermelodies and rhythmic vocal production. Before the piece began, Marianetti noted how long it took for the choir to perfect such a challenging selection.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Concert Choir was joined on their selection “Spirit of the Winding Water” by senior Lauren Hund, principal flute for Symphonic Band.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Senior Cece Stumpf joins Concert Choir for their piece “Jericho”.
Photo by CeCe Lampa
Marianetti and Concert Choir finish up another concert by acknowledging accompanist Pamela Stefan. Stefan accompanies every non-acapella selection on piano.