THIS IS YORK

Under the Monocle: Emma Johnson, seamstress extraordinaire

Back to Article
Back to Article

Inspired by the teddy coat trend, Johnson made this coat for the winter.

Photo courtesy of Emma Johnson

Photo courtesy of Emma Johnson

Photo courtesy of Emma Johnson

Emily Walker, A&E Editor

For most people, the way we dress is fairly straightforward; whether we buy our clothes at a boutique or at Target, most of us rely on forming our personal style with clothes that are made for us to purchase.

However, sophomore Emma Johnson has taken her wardrobe into her own hands by sewing a variety of pieces both for herself and for others. Through taking both classes at York, fashion merchandising and fashion construction and working outside of school, Johnson has developed her passion for fashion construction into a means of self-expression, proudly wearing each item she creates.

Johnson knew she was interested in fashion from a very young age. Whether she was playing or working, there was always a fascination for clothing.

“My interest in clothes first started when I was younger. I used to love playing dress up, and playing with barbies. I also loved drawing out little dresses,” Johnson said. “I didn’t get into sewing itself until fourth or fifth grade. I started taking weekly classes at the library just for fun. I never thought that these classes would lead to such a huge passion later in my life.”

It wasn’t until freshman year that fashion and sewing became Johnson’s main focus. Through taking sewing classes at JOANN Fabrics and the fashion construction program at York, Johnson had the opportunity to start producing clothing that she was excited to wear.

“One of my favorite pieces is definitely a two piece set that I made freshman year in fashion one, a polka dot two piece set,” Johnson said. “I just love it because I put so much effort into it and I still love to wear it. I think it’s so cute and comfortable, and it’s unique and wearable everyday, but I can still dress it up.”

Johnson wears the clothes she makes on an everyday basis, using them to develop her personal style. With a variety of both casual and dressy pieces, her clothes are perfect for just about any occasion.

“My favorite part of making my own clothes is definitely the fact that no one else will be wearing the same clothes as me,” Johnson said. “It’s pretty fun to know that you put a ton of work and time into something, and then you can wear it knowing that no one else will have the exact same shirt or dress as you.”

Johnson’s projects are oftentimes very detailed. Recently she even took on the challenge of creating her own formal ball gown to wear at her friend’s debutante ball. The emerald dress featured velvet flower details and a plunging neckline.

When it comes to inspiration, she looks to those around her. Johnson says that the girls she works with are a big part of pushing her and helping her keep moving forward.

“My inspiration really comes from the three other girls that I sew with, Emma, Grace, and Piper. I sew with them every week and it’s just great to have that are so passionate about sewing.”

Looking towards the future, Johnson knows that fashion is something that she wants to make a permanent part of her life. She hopes to major in fashion in college, whether that’s in design or the business side of fashion. She also hopes to expand the items she creates and sell them to York students.

“I think it would be fun to make York spirit wear for students,” Johnson said. “The options for girls are kinda limited and I want to make cuter options for girls.”

To keep up with Emma’s sewing projects, make sure to follow her instagram @sewingbyemma, and to see what she’s up to in fashion club, follow @yorkfashionclub

• Under the Monocle: Emma Johnson, seamstress extraordinaire

Features

Junior Hannah Maloy to represent the U.S.A in ice skating at Worlds Competition

Features

Rock your socks for World Down Syndrome Day

Features

AP art students earn over $1,000,000 in scholarships

Features

Best Buddies: making a difference one word at a time

Features

Nick Ward dives into his last water polo season & reflects on his final swim season

Features

Order in the court

Features

Dukes in the Dark: Student council hosts the first successful winter dance in more than five years

Features

Wise Duke Podcast, Episode 6: Fine Arts Week, York Live, and Mr. Gemkow

Clubs

Black Student Union hosts annual dinner dance

Features

Sophomore basketball team ends season with a slam dunk

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL