THIS IS YORK

Filed under News, Showcase

Experience of a Lifetime: 60 students will travel to Europe for global leadership summit

Back to Article
Back to Article

A beautiful overview of Barcelona where current freshman and sophomores

Photo Courtesy of

Photo Courtesy of

Photo Courtesy of

In July of 2020, more than 60 of York’s juniors and seniors (current freshman and sophomores) will be traveling to Madrid and Barcelona for a week then  heading to Davos, Switzerland, for a global leadership summit revolving around sports and wellness. Currently, these 60+ students are focused on the financial part of the trip. Each of them needs to pay the more than $5,000 that the trip costs.

“The goals would be that we do a couple [fundraisers] per month, something small like Chipotle and concessions,” trip leader and Spanish teacher Kelley Rodriguez said. “Then during the summer, some bigger ones like those car washes and the chaperones were talking about a trivia night.”

Every student was given their own page for accepting donations, similar to that of a GoFundMe page; however, a few students have expressed ways they can fundraise individually.

“I like to do art, so I’ve been making cards,” freshman Ava Eisa said. “We are trying to figure out [somewhere] to sell them.”

There are students that have never traveled out of the country and the chaperones are hoping this will be an experience that they can take so much away from.

“[I hope the students] step out of [their] comfort zones and see a world that’s beyond the walls of Elmhurst, Illinois,” Rodriguez said, “to see what life is like in a different country.”

The leadership conference that occurs at the end of the trip in Switzerland will feature many guest speakers and activities. This is the highlight of the trip and something that will have a lasting impression on students.

“I’m really excited for the leadership summit and the people that are coming to talk, so I’m hoping [I will] learn something from that,” Eisa said.

Rodriguez had this opportunity when she went to York and claims that it confirmed her love of Spanish which led her to become one of the Spanish teachers here at York.

“They should travel to build relationships, to find their passions and to see the world,” Rodriguez said.

With this in mind, these students will be working over the next year and a half during monthly meetings to build relationships with each other while fundraising. Rodriguez and other chaperones are hoping this will shed light on problems that are still going on within our country and community.

“All the tension that goes on even within our country, our community, and even within our school is because we don’t understand each other,” Rodriguez said. “When you are out somewhere learning about them and learning about other cultures, it just creates common ground.”

About the Writer
Hannah Brody, Reporter

Hannah Brody is a freshman and is super excited for her first year on York-Hi. Besides journalism, Hannah participates in lacrosse and student...

• Experience of a Lifetime: 60 students will travel to Europe for global leadership summit

News

Parking pass applications for 2019 now available

News

Advanced Pricing: The money behind AP test fees

News

Prom Dress Survery!

News

Sign up for this year’s final blood drive

News

The water fountain debate: Is drinking from a red light safe?

News

FCCLA Heads to State: Students competed in Springfield at the state competition

News

Promposal survey!

News

BOYS take this survey on mental health

News

Seniors only vote for 2019 senior superlatives!

News

Election preview: candidates offer their pitch to first time voters

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL