Poet, actor and author J. Ivy speaks during sixth and seventh period about his life and how it inspired his poetry. (Photo by Lucy Valeski)
Poet, actor and author J. Ivy speaks during sixth and seventh period about his life and how it inspired his poetry.

Photo by Lucy Valeski

Guest performer J. Ivy “spreads his wings” on the second day of Fine Arts Week

March 3, 2020

Fine Arts Week continued on Monday with student performances at the Elmhurst Brewing Company. The student musicians were given the opportunity to share their passion and talent with both the school and the community.

Day two kicked off with the first group of students in York Live during 2nd and 3rd period. Tuesday’s performers included a variety band, dancers, singers and musicians. Some students performed their original pieces. Senior Kathryn Piechaczek has been a performer in York Live since her freshman year.

“It’s very bittersweet but I’m very grateful for this experience,” Piechaczek said. “It has helped me decide what I want to do in college. I’m studying music business in college so this (fine arts week) has really inspired that.”

Guest artist J. Ivy, poet, actor and author, performed for students during 6th and 7th period.  Ivy performed a variety of inspiring and personal poems. York students may know Ivy from being featured on Kanye West’s 2004 album “The College Dropout” on which he recorded alongside West and Jay-Z the song “Never Let Me Down”.

If York students want to watch any performances apart from their classes, they can live stream the Fine Arts Week festivities on Youtube. The students of YTV are heavily involved in the production of Fine Arts Week. Senior Ronan Doyle is one of the main directors for fine arts week film crew.

“We send a live feed to the projectors so it’s easy for any teacher to flip to it when classes are doing their work,” Doyle said. “We also stream to Youtube so that it’s on a platform that is accessible to the majority of people.”