According to a communication by Elmhurst CUSD 205, PowerSchool will create a special term designated for pre-quarantine grades. (Photo courtesy of PowerSchool)
According to a communication by Elmhurst CUSD 205, PowerSchool will create a special term designated for pre-quarantine grades.

Photo courtesy of PowerSchool

COVID-19 Update: Grading policy finalized for second semester

April 6, 2020

Following the update on the extension of the school closings, Elmhurst CUSD 205 put out an update regarding the grading policies during the use of E-Learning. The grading policy states that a student’s final grade for the semester would be either the grade earned with all assignments before March 13 or all assignments including E-learning, and teachers will take the higher grade.

“Guidance from [Illinois State Board of Education] indicates that student grades prior to the transition to remote learning can only be maintained or improved,” Superintendent David Moyer said in an email. “In accordance with this guidance, D205 will assign final term grades based on a comparison of a student’s grade as of March 13, 2020 and the grade obtained at the end of the term including remote e-learning assignments. The higher of the two grades will be assigned as final.”

A student’s grade can still be raised through the completion of E-Learning assignments, the policy simply means that whatever grade a student earned by March 13 is the lowest grade they can earn in the class. However, if a student chooses not to participate in E-Learning, it can result in the student not completing the class.

“Our district guidelines indicate that it is possible for students who remain disengaged from E-Learning for extended periods, and fail to complete multiple summative assessments, to earn an ‘incomplete’ grade for the class,” English Department Chair Kevin Poduska said. “The purpose of E-Learning is to continue engaging [students] intellectually while also creating a sense of safety and community.”

In addition to the finalization of the grading policy for the second semester, students are also being given the ability to redo or make up previous assignments that were due before March 13. This does not apply for all assignments though, and students must confer with their teachers in order to have this ability.

Continue to follow This Is York for weekly COVID-19 related updates.