A York graduate was all smiles at the Museum of Science and Industry during the 2017 Prom. ( Photo Courtesy of SR Photo)
A York graduate was all smiles at the Museum of Science and Industry during the 2017 Prom.

Photo Courtesy of SR Photo

Prom lives on despite Coronavirus fears

April 13, 2020

Prom night: the spectacle of the second semester for many upperclassmen. The dresses, tuxedos, pictures, buffet-style meals, extensive levels of shirley temples and dancing all fall together in one night — scheduled for this year on April 25. 

However, that all fell apart after the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pandemic in the United States. This outbreak prompted governors across the nation to issue stay-at-home orders, including Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker. Pritzker announced on March 31 that the stay-at-home order was extended until April 30. This — of course — prompted the York Administration and Student Council to reevaluate Prom, as it was originally scheduled for April 25. Drew McGuire — Assistant Principal for Student Activities — was a key player in this reevaluation. 

“We have rescheduled [Prom] for May 23,” McGuire said. “Our hope is to be able to have Prom this year and myself, Mr. Moran and Student Council have been working to secure a date.”

This comes to much relief of the student body, particularly the senior class.

“I would be super happy [if Prom was rescheduled]” senior Abby Greetis said. “Even if it’s not what we expected, having that night with everyone before college would be super special.”

Members of the junior class held similar sentiments.

“I think it would be amazing for the senior class to still have a Prom and for us juniors to go also, even if it wasn’t as traditional as usual,” junior Haley Brown said. 

Upperclassmen originally were scheduled to dance their night away in the second semester spectacle at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago on April 25. The Museum of Science and Industry was still available for rental and will serve as the venue for Prom on May 23, according to McGuire. However, the traditional post-Prom experience, the Odyssey Boat, was unable to be reserved.

“Unfortunately, we were not able to secure [the Odyssey] at this time,” McGuire said. “We are going to continue to work at this.”

Despite the circumstances that lead to the tentative cancellation of post-Prom, the extensive work that the York Administration and Student Council put in did not go unnoticed.

“I’ve been in contact with [Student Council] advisors and administrators — Fleming, Moran and McGuire — to relay any updates to the students,” Student Body President Murphy McFarlane said. “Prom is such an important event to me and a lot of other students and I know [the administrators and Student Council advisors] have been working extremely hard to secure a new date with the venue.”

McGuire took note of the importance of this event to McFarlane and the York student body. 

“We are doing our best to support and celebrate our juniors and seniors — especially our seniors — for these next couple weeks,” McGuire said. 

The coronavirus remains fluid, as evident by the constant changes in restrictions and social distancing measures. York administrators have taken note of that regarding the rescheduled date of Prom. 

“Obviously this could all change,” McGuire said. “I want everyone to be aware that we are doing what we can with the information that we know now.”