York’s returning administrators

Rob Wagner, assistant principal for athletics

The 2020-2021 school year marks the eighteenth year at York Community High School for returning administrator Rob Wagner, the assistant principal for athletics. ThisIsYork spoke with Wagner about his advice for students during remote learning, his most recent binge watch and the many positions he filled at York over the years.

What is something unique or interesting about yourself?

Something you may not know about me is I started here in 2002. I have been a dean of students. I have been the assistant principal for student services. I have been the athletic director. I have been the assistant principal for finance and student activities, and now I am back in this role as assistant principal for athletics. I also have coached football and girls track. 

What was your best and worst subject in high school?

My best was art, believe it or not. My worst, sorry to the math department, but it was math. 

What is a message or piece of advice you have for students this week?

As you start your first week of high school, make the best of everything, no matter what. Whether it is in the classroom, or it is extracurriculars, athletics and clubs, make the best of it. As we know, something can be taken away from us very quickly. 

What is the most played song on my playlist this summer? 

“Hotel California” by The Eagles’ — that’s an oldie but a goodie. 

What is the most recent show you have binged?

The most recent show I have binged during this whole health crisis situation was Ozark. I watched season one to three in a short two weeks.

Cubs or Sox?

I’m a Brewers fan, I’m from Milwaukee.

Go, Dukes!

The 2020-2021 school year is Drew McGuire’s seventh year as York Community High School’s Assistant Principal of Student Activities and Finance. To kick off the first week of remote learning, ThisIsYork staff spoke with McGuire about his summer hobbies and his advice for students this week.

What is a unique or interesting fact about yourself?

I really enjoy music. I play the guitar and piano. I really enjoy woodworking, and I like to do things just to be involved and creative; I enjoy trying to build ninja courses in the backyard with my son. 

What piece of advice would you like to give to the students?

Don’t put too much on yourself this year. This year is going to be a challenge for all of us, and I want you all to take time to breathe and relax. This is a really good time to figure out what it is you really want to do with your future.

What was your most played song this summer?

I really got into the band called “Camp,” and they have a song called “By and By.” My kids were really into it. When we were out on the boat this summer for vacation, we just had that on repeat.

What is a show you’ve recently binged or a book you’ve recently read?

“The Floor is Lava” just because I don’t get to watch too many adult shows with my children. It was a good summer show for the family. 

Cubs or Sox?

Cubs fan all the way!

Mr. Drew McGuire manages fire drill evactuation. September 2016. Photo by Anthony Tovar.