Elmhurst CUSD 205 plans on updating the COVID-19 dashboard next Monday. Oct. 23, 2020. (Photo courtesy of Elmhurst CUSD 205)
Elmhurst CUSD 205 plans on updating the COVID-19 dashboard next Monday. Oct. 23, 2020.

Photo courtesy of Elmhurst CUSD 205

COVID-19 cases rise in DuPage County as students return to full remote learning

October 23, 2020

Monday and Tuesday marked the final days of hybrid learning before Elmhurst CUSD 205 will reassess if it will be safe to return on Nov. 5 based on the Community Transmission Level.

“Thinking about going back to all remote learning for a couple weeks has definitely disappointed me,” junior Riana Roberts said. “I understand that our county has been seeing a lot of cases, and remote learning would be a way to decrease the numbers in some way. I think York has put in place the necessary precautions so that COVID doesn’t spread very much and we can be in school. Due to this, I have been mostly disappointed about going back to remote since I have only been able to be in each of my classes once due to the staggered return of each grade level.” 

As of Oct. 22, DuPage County remained in the Substantial Transmission Level. Due to the high number of county and statewide cases, all restaurants were also mandated to close indoor dining beginning on Friday.

“School leaders in DuPage County are working to do everything they can to take all necessary precautions to reduce the risk of COVID-19 in our schools, but each member of the community must do their part to support them,” Executive Director at Dupage County Health Department, Karen Ayala said. “As the numbers in DuPage County rises, it becomes more challenging for schools to prevent transmission in school settings.”

Since last Friday, Elmhurst’s COVID-19 cases rose from 141 to 150 positive tests in the last 14 days. Four other DuPage County municipalities surpassed Elmhurst in positive tests in the last 14 days including Naperville (227 cases), Carol Stream (167 cases) and Addison (190 cases). The municipalities also experienced a rise in COVID-19 cases since last Friday.

While District 205 typically updated their COVID-19 dashboard with positive coronavirus tests for students and teachers within the week every Friday, the dashboard’s update has been delayed until Monday, Oct. 26.

“The same commitment holds true today as existed at the start of the school year: I will work unwaveringly with my team and health officials to ensure that this pause is solely to allow COVID-19 transmission rates to recede,” Superintendent David Moyer said in a Monday email to families. “Students and staff will return to the classroom as soon as it is safely possible to do so.”

District 205 plans on notifying families about the learning model for the week of Nov. 5 by Friday, Oct. 30.

I believe that full remote remote learning is for sure the safest option for students,” junior Diego Mendoza said. “In my opinion, I am disappointed that some of my classmates won’t be attending in person this semester, but I completely understand the choice they selected. I hope the coronavirus outbreak begins to slow down, so I can see everyone of all grade levels next semester and things go back to normal.”