Rue Bennett (played by Zendaya) roams her town’s carnival in the chaotic fourth episode of the show’s first season. After an awkward situation between her and best friend Jules in the previous episode, Rue spots Jules in a crowd of people. (Photo courtesy of HBO)
Rue Bennett (played by Zendaya) roams her town’s carnival in the chaotic fourth episode of the show’s first season. After an awkward situation between her and best friend Jules in the previous episode, Rue spots Jules in a crowd of people.

Photo courtesy of HBO

HBO’s “Euphoria” and its struggle between generations

October 26, 2020

Younger generations are something previous generations have always had trouble understanding. The addition of technology and social constructs does not make adolescence any easier as it brings along a roller coaster of experiences and emotions. With the COVID-19 pandemic and lock down, many teens found themselves catching up on HBO’s “Euphoria,” which was released in the summer of 2019. “Euphoria” follows the story of Rue Bennett, a 17-year-old drug addict, and her classmates as they go through highschool together. Audience members of multiple generations were either reminded of their trying teenage years or startlingly enlightened with what was to come. 

Lead actress, Zendaya, with her remarkable portrayal of Rue, has pulled in young viewers as she transforms from her light-hearted and innocent characters of our childhood to something much deeper and at times, darker. So, it was no surprise when the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series was presented to Zendaya, making her the youngest winner in Emmy’s history at only twenty-four. 

After its release, “Euphoria” found itself in a wide array of controversy as it dives into topics of addiction, mental health, social media and intimate relationships. From the Parents Television Council’s warning to parents of HBO’s “grossly irresponsible programming decision”, to the show’s six Emmy nominations, there are a variety of views and opinions on the show’s theme and message. This brings some to wonder whether those mixed reviews simply reveal the uncomfortable truths of today’s adolescent world that people do not want to face. 

The contrast between negative and positive experiences is evident to its audience. Rue’s destructive relationship with drugs and euphoric relationship with her friend Jules is just one of many examples. Many teens who experience similar beauty and pain as the show portrays are appreciative of its acknowledgement. 

“I think that in general the show did a great job at attempting to connect to it’s audience through the main characters, especially Rue,” senior Anna Drewno said. “It was easy to see myself in Rue’s position because in high school, I have gone through similar struggles as her. Although some may say that the inclusion of many sensitive topics such as drug use, depression, and abuse may be heightened when compared to real life, I believe that the exaggeration of pain is necessary in order to capture the audience’s attention and truly get the main message across.” 

Other viewers who experienced these specific highlights and hardships also noticed their presence in the show. Some report of hating one scene, but admiring another; the idea of both positive and negative reviews reflecting true adolescent experiences reemerges yet again. When previously mentioning her distaste for a few scenes, one Vox reporter contradicts herself with love for another. 

“Yet every so often, the show will present a scene or image so beautiful that I can’t write it off entirely,” reporter Emily VanDerWerff said. “It’s a series at war with itself — two shows in one.”. 

Teenagers and adults alike will inevitably encounter situations that they would rather not relive, but there will also be those that are so full of beauty that they will want to experience them over again. With the often overwhelming topics and self-destructive behavior unveiled throughout each episode, some worry the show contains takes away from the positive-attributes of individual teenagers. However, several York students disagree, coming to the conclusion that most of the negative depictions simply show teenagers’ experiences on a deeper level.

“Those behaviors might take away a little bit, but I also think that’s what made the show so good,” junior Olivia Buscemi said. “It showed that no one is perfect, and everyone is going through something you might not know about.” 

While “Euphoria” characters are able to overcome these problematic situations, much of their true strength and determination comes to light. Focusing less on the aspects of grades and achievements allows teenagers to have a break from being told that those metrics define their whole being. Parental audiences often view this exclusion of positive aspects in a negative light. The differing perspectives and opinions of viewers is a problem the show continues to face, but readily expected from the beginning. 

“I think that the show helped teens connect with each other by realizing the severity of some of the issues some of us go through,” Buscemi said. “However, I also think it’s easy for older people to miss the message of the show and speak negatively about it simply for its explicit content.”

While parents can watch “Euphoria” with relief knowing that those times are over for themselves, many are also bombarded with the fear for their growing children. By not glamorizing the characters self-destructive behaviors, some are able to realize the main goal of the show: to help teenagers learn and let them know they are not alone. 

“My parents know that I watched ‘Euphoria’, and at first they were pretty surprised to hear that I did,” Drewno said. “But even though my parents initially had a somewhat shocked and angered reaction to the fact that I have watched ‘Euphoria’, I think that they have realized the importance of my exposure to these sensitive topics.” 

This is exactly what director Sam Levinson had in mind when writing the show.

“I think one of the biggest hurdles of this show is how do we create empathy for this generation in an older generation,” Levinson said in a conversation with Zendaya on “Euphoria’s” YouTube channel. “I hope it creates a certain dialogue between parents and their kids.”

Thankfully, for many York students, the problems the characters in “Euphoria” face are uncommon in their lives. Even so, many of us are able to empathize with the characters and understand their emotions. Every teen goes through high and low patches and as graphic as “Euphoria” can be, it helps teens understand each other as well. 

“I think most people can relate but not to the extent of all the stuff that happens in the show, but I think it helps kids our age realize that this is real stuff that people go through everyday.” Loch said. 

So, while many have cynical views on “Euphoria” for rational reasons, some still see the beauty in the show. Whether individuals find that beauty in Zendaya’s award-winning performance or the raw reflection of high school experiences, each topic presented is a real aspect of peoples’ lives.

“It’s somebody’s story,” Zendaya said in the same conversation with Levinson. “And that’s what we’re really here to do, is tell peoples’ stories. Whoever needs to connect with it or see it or watch it will find their way to it. And I think that’s the most beautiful thing about this show.”