Boys Swim And Dive Ready To Make A Splash

Photo by Danielle Stockwell

Junior Connor Groya preparing for the new season at a last-second York Dukes practice. “We put in the work all season by waking up early to practice in the morning and having after-school practices to make sure we got to be the best we could be, and ultimately have success in the conference,” Groya said.

AJ Swiatek, Reporter

In a year full of unprecedented matters, the York Boys Swim and Dive Team was thrown into quite the rut, up until the very last second, the entire season was up in the air. However, the boys have made it over the hump of training and are ready to make a splash in many events to follow this spring. 

Following a season cut short by the COVID-19 pandemic, the swim and dive team was simply unsure of the circumstances of their potential season up until the final moment. Then, on a chilly February afternoon,  the IHSA declared said teams in the West Suburban Conference eligible to play due to the sport being considered low risk. Saying that the boys were ecstatic is an understatement. Senior star athlete Andrew Hausoul gave his two cents on the excitement of finally reuniting as a team.

“I mean, while the races are mainly individual, we all come together as a team,” Hausoul said. “We always are cheering each other on and trying to make each other better.”

While it is clear Hausoul was psyched for a return to action, senior Ben Harrington was able to fully grasp the grim effects that the pandemic forced onto the swim and dive seasons.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has really changed the whole season,” Harrington said. “Firstly, it is a much shorter season than what we are used to, which is hard for a swimmer because it takes a lot of time to reach your full potential. Secondly, we had to reshape our goals for the season, because, without a sectional or state event, we were forced to find new times and goals to push for.”

Although the typical goals may not be in the realm of possibilities, the senior athletes are still excited to even have events to look forward to, Harrington reminisced on his times as a Duke swimmer.

“My favorite memory on the team was definitely being a state qualifier,” Harrington said. “The whole state experience was unlike any other, as we were the first relay team in years to qualify for state from York.”

Harrington was not the only senior who had a great experience with the York swim team in his four years at the school. Senior Josh Allen spoke on what made this experience oh-so-special for him.

“Our team is so special to me because we challenge one another, but always still have the ability to poke fun at each other and have fun together,” Allen said.

In a year unlike any other, many students across the nation seemed to lose all motivation to keep up with pastimes that used to be their reason to get up in the morning. However, this swim and dive team does not fit the mold, and they are ready as ever to make their impact on the history of the green and white. Allen gave one final outlook for the underclassmen to take notes on.

“Take advantage of the journey, because when you hit your goal, you will have nothing to look forward to,” Allen said.