Color Guard performing at a football game a year before the COVID-19 pandemic. “My favorite part about color guard is being able to perform with such a fun and large group,” junior Kristina Vezmar said. “We all support each other and have a lot of fun being loud and energetic during football games and pep rallies.” (Photo courtesy of the Color Guard Website)
Color Guard performing at a football game a year before the COVID-19 pandemic. “My favorite part about color guard is being able to perform with such a fun and large group,” junior Kristina Vezmar said. “We all support each other and have a lot of fun being loud and energetic during football games and pep rallies.”

Photo courtesy of the Color Guard Website

York Color Guard looks ahead to next year’s fall season

May 24, 2021

As the school season comes to a close, color guard, also known as flags, is looking to recruit new members for next year’s season. The Color Guard is a dance-based flag team who performs alongside the marching band during the fall season. 

“Color guard is a hybrid space between a club and a class,” sponsor Rachel Riley said. “Like the marching band, the students need to be able to fit it into their schedule. And in addition to that, we have our own rehearsals and practices throughout the summer and on evenings in the fall.” 

Color guard is a no-cut team and requires no specific experience, so everyone is included when they join. Students participate by performing at various school and community events. 

“During a normal year, we would perform at the two main Elmhurst parades (St. Patrick’s Day and Memorial Day), the Friday night football games (halftime marching band show and one flags feature),

Captains, juniors Citlaly Herculano and Kristina Vezmar performing a routine at Eighth Grade Activity Night. “I quit dancing, but still enjoyed performing so Color Guard was a pretty cool alternative, plus it was challenging, but not too intense,” junior Citlaly Herculano said.
(Phoebe Stergios)

and school pep rallies,” junior Kristina Vezmar said. “We have all of our summer rehearsals planned as well, like the much anticipated band camp in August.” 

The color guard meets during fourth period to practice their performances. The program provides an encouraging space where students can socialize and practice flagging.

“I had no idea what color guard was when I first joined my freshman year, but I tried it out and really loved it,” junior Citlaly Herculano said. “The end of the school year and summer clinics are a great way to see whether or not you’ll enjoy flagging, plus flags and the marching band replace PE.” 

As unique as the program is, it incorporates the same involvement and social benefits as other York activities. 

“It’s a great way to make new friends and learn a unique performance skill,” junior Kristina Vezmar said. “Before joining color guard I knew nothing about how to flag and knew almost no one on the team, but now flagging is a second nature to me and it’s so fun to be able to perform with the other girls on the team that I’m now so close with.”