The student news site of York Community High School
The western city of Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine is where she spent the first six years of her life before immigrating to the United States.

Photo courtesy of Adobe Stock

We learned about the history of Ukraine and the importance of being proud

For personal reasons, the person who shared this story wished to remain anonymous. This request does not diminish the credibility nor the story below.

At the age of six, she set foot for the first time in the United States. Her entire childhood existed overseas in her grandparents home in the western city of Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine. Her parents moved to the United States a few years prior before bringing her over once the paperwork was finalized.

“I was born in Ukraine and lived there with my grandparents while my mom and dad were here working until I was six,” she said. “My dad stayed in the US and my mom came to bring me here from Ukraine once my passport and other documents were good.”

With a critical period of her childhood taking place in Ukraine, her roots are deeply ingrained in her and the conflict overseas made an insurmountable impact.

I used to go to Ukrainian school, where we learned about the history of Ukraine and the importance of being proud of being Ukrainian and not hiding it,” she said. “My grandparents and my extended family are all in Ukraine, which is why I really care about the situation there.”

Her childhood roots weren’t abandoned when she immigrated to the United States, in fact, the family made a point of keeping close ties to the country through frequent visits to Ukraine during the summer and the winter. Despite the pride she has in her country, the impact it has on the community around her is something she wishes more would acknowledge.

“I wish people understood that the things going on in Ukraine impact not only people that live there but also people that have connections with the country,” she said “Even if my family is ok in the end, seeing my country being bombed and attacked is obviously really sad.”