The student news site of York Community High School

Photo courtesy of Dennis Sosnovyy

Dennis Sosnovyy visited his family in Ukraine most recently in 2008 where they were able to capture a picture with friends, family, and neighbors.

Nobody should turn a blind eye to human suffering

When your entire immediate family was born in Ukraine, it’s hard not to embrace the importance and connection you have to the culture. Both of Dennis Sosnovyy’s parents were born in the Ukrainian city of Ternopil. A while later his sister was born in Ukraine as well and all three of them eventually immigrated to America. 

If there is anything history should have taught us, it’s that nobody should turn a blind eye to human suffering, so any bit of spreading awareness helps.

— Dennis Sosnovyy

“Although I’m the only one in my family who wasn’t born in Ukraine, everything about me is connected to my Ukrainian roots. My best friends, my hobbies, my first language and my entire culture,” Sosnovyy said. 

Ukrainian culture surrounded Sosnovyy growing up which is exemplified by his lifestyle. However, his lifestyle is in the process of crumbling at the hands of a power hungry country.

“It’s hard seeing the origin of my identity crumble in front of my eyes and not being able to do much about it,” Sosnovyy said. “This isn’t about Ukraine wanting to join NATO, or any other propaganda you are hearing. It’s about a war criminal’s sickening dreams of destroying Ukrainian culture.”

Many are taking this conflict as a sign to reflect on the history of foreign conflicts. Sosnovyy went a step further and recognized the relationship between the results of the conflict and the response of the everyday civilians.

“If there is anything history should have taught us, it’s that nobody should turn a blind eye to human suffering, so any bit of spreading awareness helps.” Sosnovyy said. “I’m completely fine with my name being shared. If it means more people come up to me and ask me about Ukraine, I’d love that.”

Sosnovyy is involved with many organizations in Ukraine seeking aid and encourages anyone interested in learning more to email him using his personal email: [email protected]