The student news site of York Community High School

Photo courtesy of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine

Ukrainian citizens began fleeing to to Poland at the beginning of the conflict due to the large border they share. Many Polish citizens took these refugees in, one of which is Natalie Beltran’s grandmother.

They fled their homes and now have found the smallest sense of peace in mine

The border between Ukraine and Poland grew tense over the past month as the countries in NATO kept a careful eye on Russia’s activity near that border as any crossing of it would result in NATO involvement. However, this border isn’t only significant to military operations, it also possesses great importance to Ukrainian citizens. Many Ukrainians fled to Poland and are seeking refuge in the homes of Polish citizens. One home is that of Natalie Beltran’s grandmother and a home where Beltran spent much of her childhood summers.

“I’ve spent the duration of my childhood summers in Poland and have grown to deeply value my country’s beauty and culture, and to think something so tragic could happen so close to home breaks my heart,” Beltran said. “I want people to realize the severity of what’s happening because so many futures lay uncertain, but I also want people to know that kindness has no boundaries and Poland and other European countries prove that.”

Ordinary people in Poland including my grandma have welcomed refugees with open arms, my grandma took in two women and three children, they fled their homes and now have found the smallest sense of peace in mine.

— Natalie Beltran

In many ways, Europe is viewed as many different countries with history and conflicts that create tension. However, this conflict was able to shed light on a common fear for many Eastern European countries who were part of the USSR at one point. Poland remained a satellite state and was always of keen interest to the Soviet Union, but it was never officially under the control of the USSR.

“You look at Europe as a whole and see so much suffering and division but people have somehow found ways to remain kind and caring, proving that there’s still good to be found amongst all the pain and chaos,” Beltran said. “Ordinary people in Poland including my grandma have welcomed refugees with open arms, my grandma took in two women and three children, they fled their homes and now have found the smallest sense of peace in mine.”

Although the actions taken by the Polish citizens are noble and generous to say the least, Ukrainian people will never feel completely at home or safe in Poland while their home country is being invaded.

“For many Ukrainian refugees Poland will never truly be home because their homeland was wrongfully stripped away from them, but I do hope that Poland provides them the same comfort it provides me and that they find beauty in the place that has given me so much,” Beltran said.