The student news site of York Community High School

This Is York

This Is York

This Is York

School-wide assembly celebrates community’s veterans

Evelyn Exiner
During the reciting of the pledge of allegiance, visiting veterans salute along with York students

On Friday, Nov. 10, the York community welcomed and honored those who have served in the armed forces for this year’s veterans day celebration and commemoration, carrying on a tradition that has been observed for years. Kicking off the ceremony was a speech detailing the history and importance of veterans day, given by senior and Military History Club President Eddie Ferguson, who highlighted the personal sentiment he found in the holiday.

“It means a lot to me,” Ferguson said. “My dad is a Navy veteran, and I wouldn’t be here without him. Being able to speak about the day that celebrated not just him but veterans in general who have done so much for our country, it was very heartwarming for me to do that.”

Along with families of students in the district, the occasion has maintained a sentimental element for the community’s staff as well, including environmental science teacher, Pat Rowe.

“Our York community gathers to honor those who courageously served in our military during times of strife and during peacetime,” Rowe said. “I have had many family members serve, dating back to World War I, along with former students in more recent Middle East conflicts. This year was one of the best ceremonies I have had the privilege to witness at York. It is a truly special day in our community.”

As well as students and teachers, those who have organized the event throughout its running have grown a sentimental connection year after year, including student council adviser Matt Moran, who has coordinated the event for nearly a decade and has been able to recognize which parts make the assembly whole.

“It’s something we’ve developed over time as we’ve begun to realize how serious of a day it is and how important of a day it is to the veterans who come in,” Moran said. “We’ve been able to recognize the emotional side of it and so I believe we’ve gotten better with [supporting an emotional atmosphere] and a big part of it is the music we have, it means a lot to them and we love being able to make them feel at home.”

Overall, the annual veteran’s day assembly continues to be an event that is welcomed and appreciated for all facets of the York and Elmhurst community annually, with this event and those forward seemingly being no different than the past.

“It’s a good day for people to realize how much of an impact veterans have in everyone’s lives,” Ferguson said. “We saw when they asked everyone with a veteran in their family to stand up and maybe 80 percent of the audience stood up, and that shows you that half of our community at York alone wouldn’t be here without them.”