Students react to cold weather and snow days

With a record cold temperature on Feb. 18, York students assumed school would be cancelled; but, unlike in January, when wind-chills were also very low, District 205 chose to remain open.

“In general, District 205 will not close school on a forecast, i.e., the inclement weather must be real and present,” as stated in the policy on the district’s website.

“Wind chill is also taken into account. Generally when ‘real feel’ temperatures are -30 degrees and below, schools will be cancelled for the sake of students who ride the bus or walk to school as frost bite will occur quickly under such extreme conditions,” according to the policy statement.

So far, District 205 has closed school three times this winter.

Some students have praised Mother Nature for causing school to close down.

“I am actually for snow days,” junior Robert Hanrahan said. “I’m a busy person, so I would have nights where I would have to stay up all night to do homework, but with snow days that gives me an extra day to do it.”

Even though the snow days will add up towards the end of the year, it does not bother them because the days off are worth it.

“Cold or snow days are a godsend for me because it lets me skip a whole day of school which means I don’t have to go to the classes that I hate like P.E or college algebra,” said senior Marcus Braun.

Others students view inclement weather closings as another day  taken away from summer vacation, and they are unhappy with extending the school year.

“Even though it is relaxing and it gives me more time to sleep in and finish my homework, it’s better to have less days of school because I actually want to remember my summer vacation,” sophomore Jakob Silkaitis said.

“I hate having snow days and cold days! Sure it gives you a break from school, but now I have an extra day of school in May or June while seniors still get out of school in May regardless of snow or cold days,” said freshman Ryan Costello. “It would not be so bad if seniors got out the same day as underclassmen or we got out the same day as them.”

As of upload time, the district calendar has two additional days reserved for inclement weather closings.