Chromebook privacy policy called into question

With change comes resistance, and here at York, the Chromebooks have been met with an abundance of opposition. Students and teachers alike have struggled with the Chromebooks and their limitations, but the issue which seems to primarily be at the center of complaint is our privacy on the Chromebooks.

Students are told on a daily basis that by going on websites that aren’t school sanctioned, inside or outside of school, they will be given detention by their teachers.

Some students believe that these policies are unfair because they own the Chromebooks.

“I think the Chromebook policies are somewhat unfair,” said junior Sam Jordan-Wood. “I think school is fair game, but from 3:15 pm to 7:30 am the next day, we should be able to do whatever we want without being monitored–after all, we did pay for these things.”

On the other end of the spectrum, some students believe that the policies are well in place.  

“I think the privacy policy that comes with the Chromebooks is nothing unexpected,” said junior Austin Waterwall. “Do I think it’s fair? Yeah, I think so. It doesn’t violate our privacy and the purpose of it is to minimize things that are unfair like plagiarism and cheating.¨

David Smith, Director of Technology for District 205, believes that many of these preconceptions, whether they be for or against the policies, are falsely placed.

The first issue at hand is certainly access to our personal tabs and our screens.

With questions such as whether or not the school district can access our Chromebook’s screens at all times, Smith noted that “the district can only access our screens and tabs open during school hours [7:30-3:30].”

Although the school can access our screens while we’re off school wifi, the same restrictions are applicable.

Smith adds, “In order to access the screens while a student is off school wifi, it must still be during school hours. Everything is run through Hapara and it has restrictions set that the teachers can’t change. If teachers can see your screens outside of school hours, it’s the district’s mistake.”

Although it is rumored that administration can get into our private devices while we are logged into our school accounts, Smith assures that the Chromebooks are the only devices that the district has access to.

While some students believe the policies are already fine, it is hoped across the district that those who don’t approve will come to appreciate the possibilities that come with the use of the Chromebooks.