York’s National Merit Scholars recognized

Photo courtesy of the National Merit Scholarship Corporation

The ACT at York High School wasn’t the only successful test of the 2016 senior class. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation just named their semifinalists and commended students, and a total of 15 York students made the cut.

Students took the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test near the beginning of their junior year, and learned their scores towards the end. The list of recognized students was just released, and the number of York students on it is overwhelming.

York Community High School had 12 students that were recognized as National Merit Commended Students, meaning they tested in the top 3% nationally on the qualifying test. The National Merit Commended Students include: Jack Anderson, Nora Barrett, William Brigham, Julia Conversa, Daphne David, Mark Edakara, Abigail Emich, Anna Hubert, Brennan McGovern, Claire Niewiara, Brandon Parr, and Kristen Viola.

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation also named the semifinalists, and York’s own Kathryn “Julia” Dierksheide, Robert Tomaska and Natasha Yarlagadda qualified. These students tested in the top 1% nationally, and are in the running to be named a finalist in the competition. 90% of the finalists will attain finalist standing, and more than half of the finalists will win a National Merit Scholarship.

The National Merit Commended Students are recognized for their exceptional academic promise, and York is proud to hold 15 spots on the list.