York adds and revamps courses for next year

With the start of the second semester quickly approaching, schedule decisions for next year loom overhead. However, this time around there are more options to choose from for all levels. Thanks to administration and some proactive teachers, new classes are available, primarily in subjects that span the diverse interests of the students.

The English Department’s new opportunities

Ryan Doherty, English department chair, weighed in on the new English course offerings. York has always had reporting classes; YTV and York-Hi have been offered for years, but students wanted a reporting class more individualized to what they were interested in. In came Sports Broadcasting.

“They felt like there was a role to fill in advertising what all of our kids are doing. About 85% of kids in York are involved in activities, and most of those are sports,” said Doherty. “In Sports Broadcasting, students can do interviews with coaches or they can do sideline reporting. Some kids want to be sports broadcasters, and that is a very specific skill.”

Although the Sports Broadcasting class will be separate from the other reporting classes, they will work closely with York-Hi.

“Sports Broadcasting can pick up a sports story and do the research and the interviews,” said Doherty. “Then York-Hi can post it on the online newspaper.”

With the addition of Sports Broadcasting, York-Hi will have even more content uploaded onto the website. Previously, York-Hi hadn’t counted as a Senior English credit. However, the administration decided that seniors who had devoted time to York-Hi in the past should be able to count the time-intensive class as an English credit.

“I think that’s important because they do learn a lot of reading and writing skills and certain things you learn in advanced journalism that you wouldn’t get anywhere else, especially with the high profile writing that these kids do,” said Doherty. “If they’ve invested their high school career to that, that does equate to a semester credit.”

The credit isn’t the only change that York-Hi is undergoing. The name of the class next year will be Advanced Journalism, and it combines York-Hi and Yearbook. It will still be taught by two teachers in different classrooms, but it allows the two groups to work collaboratively.

Students in either class will have the opportunity to publish their work on our student news site, thisisyork.org, as well as in the school yearbook, Y’s Tales.

Freshman Cohort’s Redesign

Although the reporting classes are undergoing major changes, the structure of the Freshman Cohort classes are being tweaked as well.

Cohort is a group of 4 freshman classes including English 9, World Studies, Academic Literacy, and Learning Cohort. Originally, Cohort students were put in a class of 20 students to ensure that they were given the individualized instruction the students needed. The curriculum for English 9 and World Studies was the same, but there was a larger focus on aiding students that struggled with the material.

Next year, the Cohort students will be moved to a general class of 30. Hopefully, this will give struggling students peer models because they’ll be working with peers that have the ability to create a more productive learning environment. The administration is concerned, however, that with more students in the class, it will be harder to get the individual attention that the students need. The new structure isn’t set in stone as of right now, but administration is working to solve the problems that may present themselves.

“We’ve been really working with the district to ensure we’re meeting the needs of the kids in the building because we’re on the ground with them and want them to find success,” said Doherty.

York takes on Computer Programming

All of these changes to the English department have prompted changes around the school. Christopher Covino, assistant principal for Curriculum and Instruction, has worked closely with Jessica Weldon, Research and Social Division chair, to create new classes that will hone the skills of York Students to perfection.

York created a four year sequence for computer programming. A freshman can now take Introduction to Computer Programming; a sophomore can take AP Computer Science Principles; a junior can take AP Computer Science A; a senior can take Extension Individualized. The senior’s option is similar to an individualized study in that it’s extremely student driven and allows them to explore what interests them in the world of computer programming.

With all of the new computer classes being added, the teachers need to learn about the subjects along with the students.

“It just so happens that we hired a new teacher, Mr. Barnum, and he has brought a lot of knowledge from his former district,” said Covino. “Because he has connections to other teachers in other schools with similar programs, he’s been very helpful in the course design.”

York delves into student research

For students who have no interest in computer programming, new research classes are being offered as well.

After hearing reflection from former York graduates, the message was overwhelming to Covino and Weldon. Almost every graduate said they were prepared content wise, but they wished they had learned more about how to research. Because of this feedback, administration recognizes the importance of research, and, to combat the problem, they designed research programs for all grade levels.

“It’s the type of skills that spans every department,” said Covino. “Whether you’re a history major, an English major, or a math major, you have to be able to do research to know where to find things and to know how to vet sources.”

Foundational Research and Digital Literacy was created with the freshmen and sophomores kept in mind, and came highly recommended because of the skills it teaches.

“I can’t stress enough how powerful the Intro to Research class will be for incoming freshmen because it will make their experience so much stronger in all of their other classes,” said Weldon.

AP Seminar and AP Research are also added to the course load, but you must complete the former before the latter. AP research can be taken as a senior English credit, and is helpful in broadening the options for students that are science and math oriented. The students pick whatever topic interests them, and essentially create a mini dissertation in that class.

“The goal of the class is driven by students inquisitive nature,” said Weldon. “It’s based on their own questions. It’s not just a driven curriculum. You pick what you want to learn and what you’re interested in.”

York meets college credits

Although a huge focus has been placed on research based classes and skills, administration wants to help all York students with their college careers in other ways as well.

York has adopted four new Indiana University dual credit courses for next year in the World Language department in Spanish and French. York is the only school in Illinois that offers the IU program, and it continues to grow. Students will have the chance to leave York with 12-15 college credits in language upon graduation.

Excitement has spread

Administration has worked to provide classes that will be beneficial to all students and target areas that show immense student interest.

“This year’s shifts have been in response to meeting all of our kids expectations and needs,” said Doherty.

Teachers aren’t the only ones that are excited for the classes next year.

“I’m glad they’ve added so many new courses! They make it easier to fit all of the classes I want to take into my schedule,” said Mac Barrett, freshman.

Although most students are happy, seniors are understandably upset.

“The new classes sound awesome, especially the IU Spanish classes,” said Tommy Blake, senior. “I just wish they had come sooner. I would’ve loved to get Spanish credits for college.”

The list of new opportunities for next year is even longer, but if any of these class interest you or you want to learn more, ask your counselor about them when you sign up for next year’s course schedule.