York stands with Muslims

Jakob Higgins and Jerimiah Miller, Juniors

In almost every election in our nation’s past, immigration has been a widely argued topic. However, in our most recent election, the subject of whether or not Muslims should be able to immigrate has been even more argued.

The York-hi staff has varying political views on immigration, but one thing we all agree on is our support for widespread respect and tolerance in our school and community.

One student took this need for tolerance into their own hands. Junior Alexandra Hennessy created a campaign to spread awareness of the growing problem of Islamophobia.

Hennessy said, “This campaign hopes to bridge an interfaith dialogue between Muslim and non-Muslim students alike to discuss how we can build a safer and more welcoming school environment for all.”

Hennessy went as far as to create social media accounts that promote her campaign. She encourages students from all over the country to tag her Instagram page with their own photos showing why they stand with Muslims.

Hopefully through this campaign, Hennessy and other students will be able to create a safer, more accepting school environment not only at York but at all schools throughout the United States.

Below are photos capturing students who are a part of Hennessy’s campaign holding signs that explain why they are a part of this project.