Truly Fine Arts: A successful year for York’s Fine Arts Department

Sophomores in Choraliers rehearse their parts for their IMEA auditions. Photo by Becca Rodgers.

Teeming with successful concerts, competitions, and collaborations, the 2015-2016 school year has been unforgettable for the fine arts at York.

After their first concerts, the band and orchestra combined efforts with choir to prepare for York’s first big event in the fine arts department: Handel’s Messiah.

“Handel’s Messiah was a highlight for the music department because it’s one of the greatest works ever written; the fact that our high school can pull off a masterpiece this large is amazing,” said Performing Arts teacher, Rebecca Marianetti. “I love working with the full orchestra and conducting them,”

The rest of the year was filled with collaborations across the arts. After marching band season ends, members of the Symphonic Band join with the Symphony Orchestra three days a week to prepare full orchestra pieces.

“Playing Danzon No 2 was definitely a highlight of my year,” said Mikey Stumpf, senior.  “The trumpet solo was really fun to learn and difficult to play,”

Aside from in-school performances, students often will practice outside of school to compete in the Illinois Music Education Association (ILMEA)’s music festival. Students prepare excerpts to compete against other students in their district for a spot in the festival. Of those who do well in placement for the festival, students are selected to prepare new excerpts and compete at All-State against other highly qualified students in all of the districts.

“It was awesome to have 22 people from York go down to All-State,” said Kevin Shehan, junior. “Most schools have under 10 people–if any at all–make it to All-State, so it is a really good feeling to be a part of York’s great music department. All-State was a very cool experience with some great people, and I can’t wait for next year!”

Aside from all of the performances and achievements made by the arts programs this year, the programs have created a special bond in the music department.

“Being in orchestra has been an unforgettable experience,”  said Jack Davis, junior. “The atmosphere in the fine arts department is really cool, and it’s nice to see how all the departments collaborate together!”

After a year as successful as this one, the directors and members who make up the fine arts department look forward to another great year.