Elmhurst PD warns citizens of car thieves

According to an urgent press release, the Elmhurst Police Department has urged residents to be aware of vehicle burglaries due to recent cases of theft.

The press release, issued on August 25, reports that this crime pattern has been occurring in nearby Chicago-land areas, and it has now crept its way into Elmhurst. Two vehicles have been recently reported as stolen from the community. Police notice that the trend of targeted areas are close to the highway, and the vehicles being stolen or broken into are typically higher end models.

“It makes sense that this is happening close to the highways because it’s so easy for people to hop right on the expressway and get away with it,” said Campus Supervisor Ms. Herbert.  

This, in combination with cars being left unlocked with the keys left inside, has been the case in most burglaries. However, the press release reports that if the bandits could not locate the keys, they stole what they could from the unlocked vehicles. Thieves have even gone to the extent of burglarizing cars parked in driveways of homes overnight. Cases of entering homes through unlocked garage doors have also been reported. Since the crimes started in May, other suburban areas have been affected as well; upwards of 100 vehicles have been stolen, and over 200 have been robbed.

“I think people need to be more careful with their cars and possessions. Just because Elmhurst is considered a safe town doesn’t make it 100% crime free,” said Amy Bowles, senior.

Because of the two recent cases, Elmhurst police urge citizens to make themselves a difficult target by making sure car doors are locked, keys are removed, and anything of value is taken from the vehicle when it is not in use. It is also suggested to install motion censored lights in driveways in an attempt to prevent thieves from continuing to raid Elmhurst.

The theft in the community is something to keep in mind when at school. Students driving to school and parking in parking lots on campus must remember that although school is a safe environment, locking vehicles and taking valuables with you is the best way to ensure you aren’t an easy target to thieves.  

“I feel pretty safe at York, but I do lock my car everyday when I leave”, said senior Lauren Fisher. “Students at York should be concerned about this because it really could happen to anyone.”

As of now, there are not any known cases of theft on York’s campus parking lots, however, taking precautionary measures will eliminate chances of burglary when at school and in the community.

“People who don’t usually lock their cars really need to start making sure they are locked before they leave,” said Campus Supervisor Ms. Herbert. “When I lived in Elmhurst, I never used to lock my car, but ever since I heard about this, I hold my key up to the window until I know for sure it’s locked.”