York Introduces Makerspace Mondays

Students+meet+during+their+lunch+period+to+make+friendship+bracelets.+

Erica Drumm

Students meet during their lunch period to make friendship bracelets.

A new addition to York this year, Makerspace now occurs every Monday in the Lincoln Lab.

Sophomore Maggie Schroeder works hard to figure out one of the clues in this Makerspace escape room.
Julia Neri

The trend of Makerspaces has picked up recently at other schools and libraries, and Erica Drumm, Learning Commons supervisor, was excited to introduce a creative and innovative space here at York.

“The purpose is to give a break to students and to have a place where you’re doing while you’re socializing,” said Drumm. “And sometimes they’re learning even though they don’t think they are.”

During all three lunch periods every Monday, students are welcome to stop by and participate in whatever is going on that particular day.

So far, students have been able to take part in a variety of crafts, from button making to creating bubble stationary to taking apart old pieces of technology. Mrs. Drumm spends a lot of time trying to find different activities that will spark the students’ interests.

“Honestly, I spend a lot of time poking around Pinterest as well as more makerspace-specific blogs and books,” said Drumm. “I also love getting ideas from students.”

Maria Muehleis (senior) and Maggie Schroeder (sophomore) race against the clock to solve a series of puzzles before an infectious disease.
Julia Neri

Although Makerspace Mondays have been happening for the majority of the school year, they’re just getting started.

“Coming up we’ll do a paper airplane contest as well as having students construct towers out of only a few specific materials,” said Drumm.

Next Monday Nov. 7, button making will be back, just in time for the election. You don’t need to make a politics related button; it’s possible for you to make a button for anything you’d like.

Be sure to stop by the Lincoln Lab during your lunch period on any Monday to take a little break and do some arts and crafts.