New year, new Dukes

Every year around the holidays, people start discussing their plans for the new year. They hope that next year they will eat healthier, work out more, study harder for tests, or maybe try to do more to help others. These plans are called New Year’s resolutions, and the reality is that people rarely follow through with these promises.

People tend to believe that they can change a huge aspect of their lives based on just one, simple proposition; however, this is false. It is easy to say you are going to do something, but when it comes to actually acting on your words, that becomes much, much harder to complete.

A a survey completed by The Statistic Brain Research Institute stated that only 8% people actually are successful in achieving their resolution. With this percentage being so low, it was not surprising to see the results from York students–the majority saying they do not follow through with their resolutions. A larger percentage, 38% of people, never even make a New Year’s resolution to begin with.

The York-hi asked students across all grade levels their opinions on New Year’s resolutions, if they feel they follow through with them, and why that is. * The results are below:

The general consensus among grade levels seemed to be that people do in fact make New Year’s resolutions, but generally people have a difficult time following through with their resolutions–maybe this year will turn out differently. Maybe this is the year you will try your best to not eat that tempting chocolate that’s sitting in your kitchen cabinet. Maybe this year you will go to the gym instead of binge watching shows on Netflix. You just have to try your best and see what happens.

Happy New Year, Dukes. Here’s to 2017!

*All photos are courtesy of Kylie Travers.

“I don’t take New Year’s resolutions seriously,” said Katie Strawbridge, junior. “I make them, but I know that I won’t end up following through, so why bother?” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“Last year, I made a resolution that I would try harder in school, but it didn’t work out very well,” said junior Sam Gemini. “It was hard to keep on motivating myself over the course of the year. So this year, I don’t think I am going to even make a resolution.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“I don’t really like New Year’s resolutions,” said senior Liz Mazzocco. “A new year does not necessarily mean a new change should happen–you should be able to change something about yourself at any time during the year.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“This year I want to try to drink more water instead of sugary beverages like soda,” said freshman Julia Brandt. “I am confident that I will try my best to make this happen. You just have to put your mind to a resolution and you can succeed.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“Usually, I make New Year’s resolutions because I like to improve on things in general,” said Annie Grasse, junior. “I like to try to eat healthier and go to the gym. Sometimes, I stop for a few weeks during the year, but I tend to follow through with them in the end.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“I don’t really believe in New Year’s resolutions because nobody follows through with them that I’ve seen–including myself,” said freshman Dylan Meyer. “I said last year that I wanted to put more effort into school, but as the year went on, I realized it was kind of a pain, so I didn’t bother.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“Next semester I hope to get an A in biology,” said Aleksina Jovic, freshman. “I know I will make it happen. I will work hard.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers
“I keep saying that I’m going to eat healthy and work out, and I’m kind of doing that,” said Sarah Eisouh, sophomore. “So for the new year, I’m going to try to kick that into high gear. We’ll see what happens.” | Photo Courtesy of Kylie Travers