Under the Monocle: Madame Hamidi

Madame Hamidi, known for her passionate love of teaching.

We all know that the teachers here at York are an important part of why we are able to succeed academically, but once in while, one will stick out. Mrs. Suzanne Hamidi, better known as Madame Hamidi, is one of these teachers.

Usually found in the World Language hallway, Madame is one of the dedicated French teachers who has been at York for around four years, sharing her very evident love of the language.

Madame has known she wanted to be a teacher since she was a student in high school. Her passion for teaching and the French language has never faded throughout the 21 years she has been an educator. Upon experiencing “coup de foudre”, or love at first sight, when hearing French for the first time in middle school, she knew that she wanted the language to be in her life even throughout her adult years.

“I love to share my passion for the French language with my students,” said Madame Hamidi. “I also love to show them the richness of the Francophone world and new perspectives they have never regarded.”

Not only does Madame Hamidi come to class everyday with a smile, she also celebrates the hard work of her students. This year, she surprised AP classes with a traditional Moroccan tea ceremony and on another day with homemade crêpes. Students have grown to have a strong appreciation for this teacher.

“We work a lot in class,” said Hamidi. “I ask the students to do complicated things every day, but we have fun too. Also, I know it will perhaps be the only opportunity for some students to have experiences like this, so that’s why I do things like that.”

Though Madame loves her job and her students, there are some challenges she tries her best to overcome.

“There is never enough time to do everything,” said Hamidi. “I would love to spend every evening and every weekend organizing activities for my students, but I have a family and children who need me!”

Although there is only so much time in a period, school year, and high school career, Madame’s proudest moment is when students take what she teaches in the classroom with them into their future lives.

“Whenever my students decide to travel to France, take part in an exchange program, or when they decide to continue their studies in French after high school, that’s what makes me super proud,” said Hamidi.

Thanks to Madame Hamidi, students in her French courses have gained a new way of communication, as well learned about a culture in an interactive and exciting way. On behalf of French students at York, thank you for all you do Madame Hamidi!