Help wanted: summer jobs

Isabelle Downey

The entrance to the Park Distict’s East End Pool.

With summer approaching quickly, students seem to be in desperate search of summer work. Luckily, many York students were willing to give some advice and insight on some of the summer jobs they have done for some “work-spiration” for other York students.

Getting your first job can be difficult and intimidating; fortunately, living in Elmhurst gives students many opportunities to find a job just right for them, even if it takes a few tries. Teenagers are offered jobs at places from York, to the pool, to the mall, to restaurants and the list goes on and on! However, not every job will be the “perfect fit” for you, so consider some of your favorite pastime activities and think about finding a job with similar aspects.

“Last summer I worked as a cashier at a salsa shop,” said sophomore Noelle Pedote. “It wasn’t very enjoyable, so this summer I’m coaching tennis, babysitting, and hopefully getting another job on top of all of that.”

Isabelle Downey
Tennis courts at Berens Park in North Elmhurst.

If you’re stuck on where to start looking for work, why not start at school? York not only holds job fairs, but offers jobs too! Have you ever been at the bookstore and had a student help you out? Well, during the school year those students are just volunteering, and if they choose to work the bookstore over the summer, they’re paid for it.

“Being a bookstore worker has been my favorite job because it’s easy and doesn’t always feel like you’re working,” said senior Mikayla Castora. “It’s a great way to get job experience, but still have time to enjoy your summer.”

Working at the bookstore could be fun for you, considering a ton of York students help out over the summer.

“We’ll have about 30 to 40 students working this summer,” said the bookstore manager Mike Calba.

If working at the bookstore sounds like the right job for you, head down there before the end of the year and ask about helping over the summer!

“I got the job when I went to sell a book at the store, and the manager asked if I wanted a job,” said junior Sean Simpson.

Maybe neither of those jobs are for you; in fact, maybe you like something a little more laid-back and closer to home. Well, a lot of parents don’t have their summer off, so have you ever thought about asking around your neighborhood to see if anyone needs a summer nanny?

“I really like nannying because I love working with kids,” said senior Rachel Valdiserri. “The money is good and you have fun doing it.”

Isabelle Downey
The Elmhurst Park District Wagner Center.

With all the nice weather we’ll, hopefully, be getting this summer, a lot of people will want to be out in the sun. I know, working may put a damper on your tan, but not if your job is outside. Think about being at the pool mostly everyday of your summer while getting paid for it! The Elmhurst Park District offers many jobs to high school students every summer.

“The Park District hires around 300 high school students every summer,” said Megan Rawls, head of the HR Department at the Elmhurst Park District.

Working for the Park District will give you the opportunity to get to know and work with other people your age.

Isabelle Downey
The entrance to the Park District’s Smalley Pool.

“I’ve worked at Smalley and East End since the summer after my freshman year as a lifeguard and head-guard, and I’ll be pool manager this summer,” said senior Eric Rzeszutko. “The staff really becomes your friends, and you even end up hanging out outside of work. Everyone’s high school aged or 20s, so it’s always a fun environment.”

Working over the summer may seem like a drag, but it gives you the chance to try something new, meet new people, and make money. Plus, it gives you something to do with all your freetime.

“Over the summer I like to relax, but I also like to work,” said sophomore Anna Morley. “I need a break from school, but I also don’t want to sit around do nothing. Last year, I worked as a lifeguard, and I really enjoyed it because I got to be outside all of the time.”
These are only a few of many jobs offered in and around Elmhurst. So if none of these sound like the right job for you, just look around. You could start at school, asking friends or family, looking for help wanted signs, or even calling stores to see if they’re hiring. Good luck and happy working, Dukes!