Boys golf swings into conference and beyond

October is approaching fast and that means the York boys golf season is coming to a close. The conference meet was Sept. 26, and now the team looks to the  regional, sectional, and state meets which are not too far away.

So far, the team has enjoyed lots of success, but also faced challenges during the conference meet.

The junior varsity team has lost two meets this season, one against previous conference champions Hinsdale Central in which the team lost by one stroke, and another against Lyons Township in which the team lost by two strokes. Both Hinsdale Central and Lyons Township will be at the conference meet, but the team is still confident that they can pull off a win.

Photo Courtesy of Stuart Rodgers
Freshmen Connor Polomsky debates how to line up his putt.

When asked about the team’s chances at conference, freshmen Sam Bartolone said, “We are going to win because we are the best team in Illinois.” This sentiment has been echoed by many other players and coaches on the team.

The JV team ended up placing third, with Lyons Township coming in first, and Hinsdale Central coming in second. The team was led by sophomore Mason Lampa who shot a 74.

While the junior varsity’s season is now over, varsity will go on to play in regionals, sectionals, and state. The varsity team has lost two meets this year, one against Maine South, and one against Hinsdale Central. Although the team has lost against these teams, the team believes in themselves, and as varsity Coach Borel says to the players, “Don’t get on the bus if you don’t think we are going to win.”

Photo Courtesy of Stuart Rodgers
Senior Ryan Costello completes his follow through after hitting his drive.

During the conference meet, the varsity team placed third, with sophomore Matthew Buckley shooting an even par round of 72, making him all conference. The team lost to Hinsdale Central who took first and Lyons Township who took second.

Although the team did not get first place, they will still advance to regionals, which will be held on the 3rd of October, in which their performance will determine if they move on to sectionals on October 9, and the state meet which is October 12 through 14.

Stay tuned to thisisyork.org for more coverage of the team as they head into the most pivotal part of the year.