“Your 2017 York Dukes Color Guard!”

Your 2017 York Dukes Color Guard!

Once every marching band season, the York Color Guard gets their moment to shine. This past week at the homecoming game, the spotlight was on the guard as they performed to Bruno Mars’s “Runaway Baby.” Here are some photos of them preparing and performing during the halftime show! 

Photo by Natalie Rohman
Sophomore Julia Jardon sits outside the academic entrance waiting to march over to the field. Before the game, the guard had band play “Runaway Baby” once just to go over tempo and choreography.
Photo by Natalie Rohman
During the second quarter of the football game, the team is often caught behind the band practicing and reviewing the halftime show. Sophomore Catherine Evans makes sure she is correct on the choreography with another one of her teammates.
Photo by Kris DeGrace
For their feature, the team stands in a block in the middle of the band, watching their drum major. For choreographing the halftime show, the three captains divide and conquer, but the feature is a shared creation.
At the end of “Holiday,” the drills place the color guard in two horizontal lines splitting in between band members. This is nerve wracking for the guard, since they don’t want to hit any band member, and since it’s more obvious when they are out of line.
Photo by Nate Swanson
At the end of “Good Riddance,” the color guard gets another time to shine as they stand up on the sideline. Sophomore Sarah Bieniek finishes off the song with an “hourglass,” which looks exactly like an hourglass.
Photo by Nate Swanson
Last Friday night was the warmest temperature the band has ever performed in. The heat posed problems for the guard and their tosses, since their poles were sticky and hard to toss.
Photo by Nate Swanson
Since the team is performing a show and is showing off their skills, part of their choreography is to smile for the entire time they are on the field. Junior Jess Dobrotka and senior Carly Laurx give their biggest smile for the crowd.
Photo by Nate Swanson
During the three songs, the color guard often has to dodge band members to be sure they don’t hit an instrument or person. In this set during “Still Breathing,” the guard has a little portion of the field all to themselves.
Sophomore Sam Ray performs a cradle toss into a reverse spin to right during “Still Breathing.”
Photo by Nate Swanson
Senior captain Carly Laurx splits the has on the 40 and 35 yard lines during “Still Breathing” in the halftime show. Splitting means that the student’s spot is right in between the two yard lines and is very specific.
At the end of the day, the team is more of a family and less of a team. The girls call the captains “mom” and have a blast together. Catch them at the last football game next Friday!