Boys golf season recap

Junior Aidan Mann with varsity coach Jim Borel as the boys golf team wishes Mann good luck at state.

Photo courtesy of the York Boys Golf website.

Junior Aidan Mann with varsity coach Jim Borel as the boys golf team wishes Mann “good luck at state.”

On Oct. 13 and 14, junior Aidan Mann represented York as he competed in the state golf meet. Aidan placed 91st and shot an 89 on day one and an 80 on day two. Aidan’s success has been shared by the whole team this season including at the conference meet and regional meet.

Since the conference meet on Sept. 26, the boys golf team has been successful in their regional and sectional meets. The team took second in the regional meet and fourth in the section meet.

Varsity Coach Jim Borel said, “We were very happy with how all of our players shot. We’re one of the best golf teams in the state, and it shows.”

The Dukes regional meet was on Oct. 3, with sophomore Joshua LaBounty shooting a 71, and senior Jake Brown shooting a 72. After a second place finish at regionals, the team moved onto sectionals.

“We were excited after the results of the regional meet,” said Coach Borel, “It means that at sectionals, we have the ability to qualify as a team for state.”

At sectionals the team performed well, but missed the  cutoff for state by a single stroke, losing to Lake Park 309-308 and placing fourth. However, Mann went on to shoot a 76 which qualified him for state. Brown who shot a 77, almost made the cut, but ended up losing an on course playoff for a spot.

Even though the team as a whole did not advance, the coaches were very proud of the young team.

“Being only one stroke away from qualifying as a team for state with two sophomores and one freshman on the team is a great accomplishment and shows great promise for the future,” said Borel.

As the team moved towards the state meet, the pressure greatly increased, but the team pulled through.

“The state meet for high school and college level golf are not very different, but our talent really came through,” said Borel.

Although Mann may not have played the best he ever has, he has plenty of potential and will undoubtedly be in a position to win the state meet along with the other current junior and sophomore players.

Now as the coaches look to next year, there is much anticipation for what the team may achieve.

“We’re very excited for the future,” said Borel, “We are not far away from trophying, and talent wise, we can actually win it [the state meet].”

Although the season is over the players will continue to play the sport they love because, as junior varsity coach Dave Kalal says, “Shooters gotta shoot.”