THIS IS YORK

Filed under Showcase, Sports

York Hockey ‘pinks the rink’ on spirit night

Back to Article
Back to Article

The team lines up on the blue line before the national anthem sporting pink tape and laces.

Photo by Murphy McFarlane

Photo by Murphy McFarlane

Photo by Murphy McFarlane

On Friday, York Hockey raised money for breast cancer research on their annual spirit night. The Dukes took on Loyola Academy, and although the scoreboard reflected defeat, the night ended in success.

“The feel was very electric, and the stands were packed,” said senior Sam Gemini, forward. “It gets everyone on the team fired up. Unfortunately, though, we just couldn’t get enough goals tonight.”

Murphy McFarlane
York Students overflow the student section in green and pink at spirit night last Friday, Oct. 20, 2017.

Murphy McFarlane
Billy Paschen (#7) , Matt Anderson (#97), Joey Guerino (#26) , Chris Lee (#13), and John Temple(#90) celebrate after Matt Anderson scores in the third period.

Players hit the ice decked out in pink, while Duke fans packed the stands. The first two hundred students with their ID received a free t-shirt colored pink and green in support of breast cancer and the dukes.

“Spirit night has been insane. Everyone is super excited and hyped,”  said sophomore Sydney Wood. “Have you seen the stands? Everyone is constantly cheering and jumping.”

The gameplay was exciting throughout the night, as the crowd intensified the atmosphere of the game.

“I love all of the people and I love the energy,” said senior Dylan Reynolds. “It hypes me up personally. I love being able to come out to play hockey while also helping people at the same time.” Reynolds was the starting goalie on Friday night for the varsity team.

Murphy McFarlane
Sophomores Bella Caruso, Kate Moran, Brenna Bohaboy, and Gianna Cantos celebrate after the Dukes score a goal Friday, Oct. 20, 2017.

As a part of spirit night, the organization had 36 themed baskets for raffles and 32 silent

Murphy McFarlane
Some of the many themes basket’s are on display as well as pink and green decorations for breast cancer awareness night.t auction items as well as a huge bake sale in an effort to raise money for breast cancer research.

“I think the parents and the board did a very good job setting up for the breast cancer awareness theme,” said head varsity coach, Bruce Turpin. “It’s awesome when all the players, parents, and community rile together to raise funds for cancer awareness like that. I think it reflects well on the organization.”

Although the varsity team ending up losing 4-2 against one of the top-ranked teams in their league, York Hockey was able to spread positivity and awareness for a really great cause.  

“I came to show my spirit to York Hockey and to have a good time with my fellow students,” said junior Liam Parpan. “It was also really cool to be apart of such a great movement.”

Murphy McFarlane
York Hockey players watch in anticipation as the play Loyola Academy at Addison Ice Arena last Friday night, Oct. 20, 2017.

About the Writer
Murphy McFarlane, Features Editor

This is Murphy's second year on staff, and she is thrilled to take on the role of features editor. When she's not at school in the journalism lab or YTV...

• York Hockey ‘pinks the rink’ on spirit night

Features

Spanish 4H classes give the gift of education this Christmas

Video

Friday, December 7th 2018, Ytv Daily Announcements

A&E Reviews

Burning up for Bachelor drama

News

STUDENTS OF ALL GRADE LEVELS: How do you feel about senior finals?

News

Take this survey on York policy and events

Features

Sleeveless Jacket discusses their origins and upcoming performance at the Jam Lab

Features

York’s dance program becomes a conversation starter

Humans of York

Humans of York | November 26, 2018

Opinions

Vote for your favorite wings

News

York speech team sweeps at Viking Varsity Challenge

THE STUDENT NEWS SITE OF YORK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL