Behind the scenes of YTV

Photo courtesy of York High School

The YTV morning announcements logo that is projected during passing periods before the daily announcements begin.

YTV is more than what you see everyday during second period for the first four minutes of class. There are two levels of YTV classes: YTV Morning Announcements and YTV Advanced Features. Each class works hard every day to produce the morning announcements and features to air to the school, which will eventually enter the MMEA film festival.

What students don’t know is how much work goes into the announcements and features. So, here’s a little rundown on what happens in C216:

Photo by Isabelle Downey
Senior Bilal Kamka getting ready to import video clips into the Adobe Premiere timeline before he starts editing his latest project.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Junior Dylan O’Leary holding his camera and tripod before he leaves the classroom to get shots for his feature.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Mr. Chambers, YTV teacher, cleans a camera lens while wondering where students’ missing assignments are.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Junior L.J. Galdo works the teleprompter while anchors do a run through of the morning announcements. The announcements are sent in by York teachers, coaches, and club leaders everyday and it is up to the anchors to organize and word them the way that they think will sound best on announcements the following morning. The announcements are then put into a teleprompter website and played on computer screens for the anchors to read off of.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Senior Jack Freeborn works the microphones. The student managing the soundboard is responsible for turning the volume up and down on the anchors’ microphones, depending on which anchor is talking. This is important for the announcements so there is not background noise from one anchor while the other is saying his or her announcement.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Sophomore Jack Doyle works the background, adding a picture to each slide that represents that particular announcement, then switching the slide and the camera angle to whichever announcement and anchor it applies to.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Junior Matt Reishus edits the announcements, cutting out any mistakes the anchors made, adding music to the first six minutes for passing periods, adding the background onto the green screen, and sometimes adding features in at the beginning or the end of the four minute announcements.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Senior Lauren Vilips and sophomore Jack Doyle prepare to film the morning announcements. They do a run through before the cameras roll so they are ready to get through all of the announcements, hopefully without any mistakes.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Senior Lauren Vilips and sophomore Jack Doyle smile at the two-shot camera before they start filming. The two-shot camera is the camera that show both of the anchors at the beginning and end of the announcements, there are two more cameras for individual shots, teleprompters are under each camera.
Photo by Isabelle Downey
Mr. Chambers, YTV teacher, counts the anchors down, meaning they will begin their introduction and the rest of their announcements as soon as he counts down to one, starting at five.